16:9 or 4:3 Projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher M, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at a Front Projection setup. I'll only be using it to watch DVD's (progressive), and maybe play some PS2. Should I go for a native 4:3, or 16:9?
    Right now I'm leaning towards the InFocus X1, which is 4:3, but supports the 16:9. I figure I can just manually mask the screen for 16:9 stuff.
    Also, I have a fairly long throw for the projector, and the infocus matches up well with that.

I'm looking for advantages to each. I read an article about them on projectorcentral, and thats what had me leaning towards the 4:3.

Murdock

2. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

Murdock,
    Also check AVSForum they have a lot of stuff about projectors. It is the brother forum to this one.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    A lot depends on what you want to watch. For me personally, I watch primarily widescreen so I want a projector that can take full advantage of its panels in reproducing that without wasting it producing the black bars. Take a quick read in this article... 16x9 vs. 4x3 - Which type of equipment setup should I select?

4. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

See, one thing for me is my screen width is fixed. 90" wide is as big as I can go. That would be with a 12' viewing distance.
    So, I can get 4:3 at 90" wide, and 16:9 at 90" wide. So, I'm really not giving up much either way.

Murdock

5. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Since my primary viewing habbit is dvds and hdtv I went with a 16:9 screen. Once you get your projector, I think you will be doing the same.