16:9 or 4:3, I know this has been asked 1000 times.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_G, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Al_G

Al_G Auditioning

Well, I know this has been asked many many times, but I'm not sure they've been in the same situation I am in. Here is my situation:

I would like a new HDTV, preferably 32" 4:3 or 30" or 34" 16:9. Right now, I do not plan to be watching much TV on it, but I do plan on doing a heavy amount of DVD watching and video game playing (more video gaming than DVD watching). I am not real impressed with the black bars on 4:3 TVs, but with a 32" 4:3 TV and a 30" 16:9 being almost equal in 1.85:1, I can't help but choose the 4:3 since it offers good size for video games as well as good size for DVDs, and I'll get more for my money. Is this the right descision or should I look into 16:9 more carefully?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

All 16:9 TV's have a 4:3 mode (picture squeezed to a 4:3 shape) but very few 4:3 TV's have a true 16:9 mode (called the vertical squeeze). If your set does not have 16:9 mode, you must rely on the DVD player to massage the video on 16:9 enhanced disks (called downconversion) and the quality is always inferior (picture less sharp, more jaggies on diagonal edges and lines) compared to true 16:9 mode on the TV. For full frame and ordinary letterbox wide screen programs there is no difference between having a 4;3 or 16:9 TV and you can just buy according to the picture size and other features you want.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm