16:9 mode on Toshiba televisions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian cr, Nov 27, 2001.

1. brian cr

brian cr Auditioning

I'm looking at buying either a 32A41 or 32A61. I've heard it is possible to create a 16:9 mode in the service menu, using

the HIT adjustment. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know the correct setting? I think these tv's are very good values, but I was leaning towards a 27 inch Sony Wega in order to get the 16:9 mode(I can't afford a 32in. Wega).

If the Toshiba's have 16:9 as a hidden feature then I think

that puts them over the top in the value department. Please

help me with this decision. Thanks.

2. brian cr

brian cr Auditioning

Do any of the people on this forum have direct view televisions? 100 views and not a single reply makes me wonder if I should look for another forum.

Also, isn't this forum devoted to non HDTV televisions? At least half of the monitors asked about here are HD.

3. Mike Wolert

Mike Wolert Extra

dont be rude or u will never get a reply and if u dont like this forum then leave no one is asking you to stay. be patient someone will reply with the answer soon, hopefully.

Peace

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Technically, it should work, but IMHO changing the HIT value everytime you play a DVD is just not practical. It might also throw off the geometry and/or convergence.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I do this quite a lot and I show people how to do it too.

After a while, you know which two parameters you have to change and it takes about 30 sec each time around.

YOu need to adjust the HIT and the PARA items. HIT to squeeze the image and PARA to correct the geometry distortion.

Note though ... while easy to do ... you will increase the chances of seeing moire in the image when the picture is squeezed.

Regards

6. brian cr

brian cr Auditioning

Thanks Michael. One question though. How do you determine if the setting is correct? Does Avia or Video Essentials have any anamorphic test patterns?

Also, I assume that as long I note the original settings there is no chance of permanently screwing up the picture. Is that correct?

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Yes ... virtually nil.

Use the 16:9 patterns on either AVIA or VE. Measure the circles. When they are correct ... that is where you stop.

However ... you may also end up seeing some of the top and bottom scan line info as a result of this ... little anomolies at the top and bottom of the screen since vertical blanking does not cover that sometimes.

Regards