16:9 mode on non-Wega TVs??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JonZ, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Can anyone recommend a TV for under $1000 besides Wegas that have the 16:9/Vertical Compression mode on it?

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

All Toshiba Flat Tube models have it, All JVC Flat Tube models 27 inch & up have it & Selected Samsung Flat Tube 27 inch & up models have it & I know some Sharp & Zenith models have it too but off hand I can't remember which models have it, Check all their websites for the specs. on each model.

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Thanks Bill.

Im looking into the Toshiba 32AF43 or maybe a JVC,which I now have

My brother just got a Wega and Im not too impressed with it.Using components the DVD picture is soft and dull - everyone agrees my JVC looks alot better.

It was hard to calibrate using Video Essentials (The red push needs to be shut off)and the pixelation on cable is horrendous.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jon, your brother's Sony should look fine. Does he have it set up properly? Is the player he is using also set up properly?

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Hes using component for the DVD player.I use SVideo.

He has a new 24FS100 , I have a 1999 JVC 27AF050

I placed the settings on warm and then used Video Essentials to calibrate.

The red is very high and I hear that the Wega has this problem out of the factory. The Red push has to be shut off (which I havent done yet).

I compared a few DVDs, the same scene scene on both TVs at the same time.

One think I did notice is how soft the Wega picture s and I had to turn the sharpness up higher. On my JVC, I keep it off.

While conparing the scene in the jet from X2 all 4 of us decided my JVC had the beter pic even both were calibrated the same way.Especially in the blue dept-Nightcralwers skin,the chairs and interior of the ship all looked nicer on my set.More natural skin tones and more vbrant lighting as well were mentioned.

Its hard for me to explain, the Wega pic looks green, red,dull and soft and pixels horribly when watching cable whih he watched quite a bit of(hes a hockey freak)

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Some of the differences between the 32" Toshiba 32AF43 & the JVC AV-32FA44 (NOT THE JVC AV-32F704)

What The Toshiba has that the JVC Doesn't have:
    12 Favorite Channels
    Rear Video Output
    Labeling For The Inputs
    Game Timer Mode

What The JVC has that the Toshiba Doesn't have:
    Scan Velocity Modulation ON/OFF (Toshiba's is always ON)
    Pro Color Temperature Setting
    Audio Watts 15 (Toshiba is 10 Watts)
    Hyper Surround Sound
    Hyper Channel Surf
    Channel Surf Return Mode
    4 Pre-Set Picture Modes (Toshiba has 3 Modes)
    Contemporary Cabinet Style (Toshiba Box Style)

Myself I have been telling people to check out the JVC first unless you need a Video Output.

The other reason I like the JVC AV-32FA44 (Not the JVC Box Style AV-32F704) is that it can be had for under $500 & the lowest I've seen it for was $488.88 & I've never seen the Toshiba advertised anywhere near that price. the reason I say to go with the JVC FA44 & not the F704 is because the FA44 is nicer looking (Something like the better Sony's) & the Audio Amp is 5 more watts & it has bigger speakers & they both can be had for around the same price. Check out their websites for more Info, Specs & Pictures of the sets.

For people looking for these sets in the 27" size the specs. are the same but the Labor Warranty on the Toshiba is only 90 days (It's one year on the 32" size?) & the JVC is one year. Hope this helps you out & if your happy with the JVC that you have now I would check out the JVC first.

Also if your looking at the "Box Style" JVC sets at Best Buy they have different model numbers because the sets are made just for them & I have no idea how the specs. compare to the Regular JVC Models so make sure you find out what the specs are. It may just be different Model Numbers so Best Buy doesn't have to match any JVC prices or they may have cheaper power supplies & etc. For pictures of the 2 different JVC sets check www.sears.com under the 27" size. Hope this helps you out & whatever you do get let us know what you think. Oh, the lowest price I've seen on the JVC AV-27FA44 was $277.00 Happy Hunting [​IMG]& now I'm off to watch the "Super Bowl"

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Thanks ALOT!!!

Im sure most think Im crazy, but to me the JVC is clear winner between my Tv and his.

I was looking at Sears - they match internet prices.

Im gonna go and look at all the sets Ive been researching. Of course the best way is to compare them in person.

However I saw this... 32 inch HDTV AV-32DF74
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=05742883000

Next month,Im buying my G/Fs 3 year old Subaru from her for $10k. I may just add $1000 to the loan and get this thing [​IMG]

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

JonZ, My thought & what I have been telling people is that if your going to spend over $500 on a TV to get an HDTV set not an Analog set. For Analog sets I have been telling people to get the JVC AV-32FA44 for under $500 or go with a HDTV set. I agree with you, I think the picture on the JVC & Toshiba sets are better than the lower priced Sony models & so did Consumer Reports (Not that I put much fate IN CR's Electronic Ratings).
    That JVC HDTV set looks like a really nice set with some nice features & I'd love to see one in action or a report on it. If I was you I would push to try & get it for under $900 or around the Best Price that the 32" Samsung's can be had for because ALL the companies except Sony seem to be trying to compete with Samsung's prices, Japan vs Korea, & Samsung has been grabbing a big share of the TV market lately. If you do get one I would love to see a report on it.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Thanks for he replys Bill.

Tomorrow Im going to look at these TVs.Im sure Im gonna have alot of questions when I get there. Can I use progressive scan with HDTV ready?

To me its worth the extra $300 if I can with view progressive scan and proper 16x9 mode.

Sears matches internet prices and I was able to find that set for $800 online[​IMG]

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Yes, you can use a Progressive Scan DVD Player with that JVC model & I would look for a DVD player that has the DVI Output on it. I don't know enough about players with the DVI Output but I guess the ones that the people like on this forum have been a couple of the Dennon models. Try a post on it in the Video section of this forum & I'm sure you will get answered. Also I think the $800 price is a good price to haggle with Sears over & I totaly agree with you, spend $300 now & your set for the future especially seeing the set has the DVI Input (This is why I can't see spending over $500 on an Analog set). Again, let me, us know what you think of that JVC model. Thanks.
    Oh, I ment to add that when your checking the set check the HDTV Picture & the Regular Analog picture on the set because a lot of HDTV's are not very good with an Analog Picture compared to Regular Analog sets.

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor