What's new

16:9 mode on 4:3 crt? (1 Viewer)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
If you set your DVD player to output in 16:9 mode the picture will not be distorted and you get to enjoy the full anamorphic resolution.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
16:9 is for anamorphic DVDs, which will show much more picture detail on your set using this mode than non-anamorphic DVDs. Try one and see.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If the set did not have a 16:9 mode, your player would have to scale/downconvert a 16:9-encoded DVD in order to present it in its proper proportions on a 4:3 screen. In doing so, the player would have to toss out every third line of picture information in order to paint the letterboxing bars. With the 16:9 function, the JVC's entire scanning-line raster is collapsed into a 16:9 window, with the so-called "black bars" being nothing more than dead space. With your DVD player's setup menu adjusted to output a 16:9 signal, it can present the entire 480-line 16:9 picture at complete resolution.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Also, I think it's almost criminal how the sales staffs at most stores are not knowledgeable enough to be able to tell customers this. The 16:9 mode on some NTSC-only sets is the only reason left for buying non-HD units these days.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
ok, i went in the menu and switched my ps2 to 16:9 screen.
But when i put in a dvd that says "enhanced for 16:9 mode.
it looks the same, and then when i press 16:9 mode on my tv remote, the picture gets even thinner to like almost 1/3 of the screen height.

what is wrong here?

david stark

Second Unit
It all depends on what the film was. Does the box of the dvd give an exact ratio? 16:9 will completely fill a widescreen tv, but may films have wider ratio's than that (2.35:1 for example) and so if you are watching one of those on a widescreen set you will still get black bars top and bottom and so if you watch one of these on a normal 4:3 tv the picture will have huge black bars top and bottom.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I think you might be in the wrong menu.

The one you're referring to only controls the 'look' of the PS2 main menu.

You want to go into the DVD menu where you can alter items like noise reduction, base level volume, and 4:3/16x9.

Check your PS2/DVD remote manual for more info.

Greg Black

Second Unit
You would only have to change it back if you want to watch a non-anamorphic (4x3 letterbox) DVD. Most all DVDs nowadays are enhanced for 16x9.

Shanil

Grip
I have a 29" philips 4:3 TV. It has 4:3 expand but does not have 16:9 compress. Should I set my dvd player to 16:9 or 4:3, or can the set be adjusted to the squeeze mode? I know how to get into the service menu, but have no idea what's going on in there.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, Gary: No, you do not have to change the DVD player's setup menu adjustments every time you switch between 16:9-encoded and 4:3-encoded DVDs. Select "16:9" and leave it alone after that.

Greg Black

Second Unit
Jack, although I haven't had the opportunity of trying this yet, wouldn't setting the player to 16:9 on a 4:3 TV cause distortion on non-anamorphic discs? I always assumed it would, or at the least it would put bars on the side of non-anamorphic material which would make the image really small on a 4:3 display.

I'm now confused on this whole matter :)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
yo, i set my ps2 to 16:9 and i put in an anamorphic dvd and it worked as far as i know.

then i put in a dvd with only 4:3 format and it was distorted unless i pushed the 16:9 botton on ym tv remote.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

It would if your TV didn't have a 16:9 mode. Many of the Sony WEGAs require that you manually activate the 16:9 mode; some do it automatically. The only menu you therefore need to consider on a day-to-day basis is the TV's (and then only if its 16:9 mode isn't automatic). But the DVD player need only be adjusted to 16:9 once; when playing a 4:3-encoded DVD it will pass a 4:3 image (be it a fullframe or letterboxed image that's recorded onto the disc).

Greg Black

Second Unit
Yep, I was confused on whether or not the player would pass a 4:3 image if the material being played was 4:3 non-anamorphic. Thanks for clearing that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks