What's new

16:9 Enhanced & settop box (1 Viewer)

DanMaz

Auditioning
Hey everyone, new to the site, and trying to get a better idea of things before making my purchase.

My question involves using an TV that has 16:9 Enhanced capabilities with a digital settop box.

A) Does the TV have an option to switch this on / off or is it automatic depending on content? (Based on some reading on this site, it seems to be a user config option, but wanted to confirm).

B) Is there any setting on the settop box that would need to be adjusted to take advantage of this 16:9 Enhanced feature?

C) Is 16:9 Enhanced only available for 4:3 TVs regardless of ED or HD? If you have a true 16:9 Widescreen TV, whether ED or HD, than this feature is not needed, correct?

Thanks in advance! This looks to be a great site with lots of info!

Dan

John S

Senior HTF Member
Right if you have a 16:9 Display of course there is no option for it.

On mine, I have a single button that gives me aspect ratio control, same button for all sources, but it doesn't react the same on all sources.

I only get native widescreen using 1080i. I hit the button and then I have 1080i 4:3.

If I am using the native widescreen mode, all my devices must put out 1080i and be set that I have a real 16:9 display. I currently run my DVD and ATSC Tuner this way, if I put in a 4:3 disc, I only need to hit the button and instant 1080i 4:3....

You can play some games with it to for experiementation. I can set my STB for 480p and 4:3 display then watch HD in widescreen, psuedo pan and scan, or some of our DTV stations like to run this stretchy terrible 4:3 within the 16:9 framming then I can choose Stretched this is all on the STB though when feeding my set 480p from the ATSC tuner.

On my DVD Player if I set it to 4:3 display at 1080i, I can zoom any widescreen DVD to fill my 4:3 screen (once again psuedo pan and scan) Of course the button on the display then has to be set for 4:3 also.

I hope this helped, different displays handle all this quite differently, but that is how my display works.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Phillips 60PP9202 Rear CRT RPTV Display and a Zenith HDV-420 STB.

I was pretty upset when I 1st realized the native widescreen mode was not available for 480p sources, but then the Zenith DVB-318 DVD player came out, and gave me that most sought after capability.

My display also has NO DVI/HDMI input, and no 720p support, so not very reccomended by most here. But it got to my door at only $1250 and so far so good at about 13 months of ownership and heavy use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks