16:9 enhanced mode

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by TravisKH, Oct 1, 2003.

1. TravisKH

TravisKH Auditioning

I have a 32" wega kv-32fv310. It has something called 16:9 enhanced mode. I haven't been able to find much detailed information on this and am wondering what it really does. When I enabled it, it seems to compress the image or the scan lines to get better resolution. Although it doesn't seem to accomplish mush other that reducing the picture size. In the manuel it states that it provides enhanced picture resolution for widescreen sources such as dvd. Would a progressive scan player be able to utilise this feature without reducing the size of the picture? If anyone can shed some light on what this feature is actually for I would be grateful. Thanks.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Travis, a DVD is 480 lines of resolution. When a widescreen movie is played on a 4:3 set, the black bars at the top and bottom use some of those 480 lines of resolution. In order to get the same 480 lines in a widescreen DVD (in the picture area), some TVs will squeeze 480 lines into the 16:9 picture area.

This works with both progressive scan and non-progressive scan DVD players.

3. TravisKH

TravisKH Auditioning

Yes, but if a progressive scan player was used while that option was enabled, would a 2.35:1 picture be reduced in size?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In this case, though, the TV is not progressive scan-capable. But that's not at issue. Simply go into your DVD player's setup menu and select "16:9" as your output mode and be done with it. No need ever to go into the setup menue again.

Your TV, I believe, automatically detects 16:9 sources; if not, enable the 16:9 compression when playing a 16:9-encoded disc. Since I think the TV's 16:9 feature is automatic, it will show 4:3-encoded discs scaled properly.

5. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I suggest consulting our HTF Primer and FAQ. Use the link in my signature. There's a chapter devoted to this topic. An even longer discussion can be found here.