What's new

16:9 enhanced mode question (1 Viewer)

KyleJ

Auditioning
I understand how the 16:9 enhanced mode works on my tv, but I have a question regarding hdtv's.

If you have a 4:3 hdtv with the 16:9 enhanced mode, will that mode work with hdtv programming or just dvd's?

I'm curious if you lose any picture info if you have a 4:3 versus 16:9 screen.

Also will you lose picture info if you have a 16:9 screen and watch 4:3 hdtv material?

Thanks

Kyle

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your TV does the auto adjust for enhanced, you will actually have to turn it off to get 4:3 with enhanced material. Sorry, I don't have and HDTV tuner, so I don't know if it works for OTA HD programs.

Also will you lose picture info if you have a 16:9 screen and watch 4:3 hdtv material?
That is what "stretch" modes are for - to format the material to fit the screen no matter what, per your preference.

This question is better suited to the Display area.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not aware of any 4:3 HDTV programming. All of the HDTV (and Fox’s 480p, digital programming) telecasts are in 16:9 format. When the telecast contains 4:3 material, the 4:3 material is put into a 16:9 frame and telecast with black bars (just like a 4:3 DVD on a 16:9 TV.

BTW, stretch modes won’t work with a good many HDTVs, when you are receiving a digital telecast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks