What's new

16:9 direct view TVs (1 Viewer)

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
I have 46" rear projector, but now I am moving near school for my MBA program into a tiny apt and cannot accomodate my HT system. but I can't face the thought of getting a small 4:3 TV.

So I am now exploring the option of a 16:9 direct view TV. I am hoping people who know about that market will be able to guide me. being a nut, of course, I want the Sony KV-34HS910. but $2500 for a 34" TV that I need for only a couple of years? (hope to move to a bigger place after the MBA) But then, it 30" big enough? how about that samsung 26"

I guess the question is, 26", 30", 34", what are the ideal viewing distances? what are the models to watch out for? what models give most of the performance on a small tag?

I am tempted to spring for the 30" $950 models from samsung or phillips. how much more area does a 34" give in real terms? do I HAVE to spend $2000 plus?

John_Pang

Grip
Check to see if your local Sears has any Sony KV-34XBR800 in stock. Last moth they had them on clearance for $1499. I went to Circiut City and had them price match and I got an additional 10% and a $200 Gift card.

Ideal viewing distance for this set is 8ft. or less. I love it. 30" gets really small when viewing 4:3 matrial and I don't think the Samsung model has a DVD-I interface.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
hmm. everywhere I look, the XBR800 is listed at $2300. $1350 + $200 gift card sounds really fantastic. would you consider letting me have a copy of your invoice (name/address blanked out if you prefer) so I could take it to circuit city or somewhere and try to get the same deal?

or maybe you could check with that circuit city if they would do the same deal for me?

thanks!

Curt Irwin

Auditioning
I have a Samsung 30" 16:9 and love it. It is perfect for my smallish apartment - soon to be home. I typically don't watch much TV, but when I do I really enjoy this set.

DVD quality is excellent, HTPC quality is good through S-Video (soon component), but normal cable suffers - as it does in most HDTVs. However, I now run my cable to an old VCR into my ATI TV VE card and then through Dscaler and it is excellent, at least twice as good as normal cable. I have programmed my TV remote to run the VCR so I can now totally control the TV via my Samsung remote.

I have not used HDTV yet, but I have heard good things. For the price it has been excellent.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Best Buy has a Philips 34" 16:9 HDTV direct view for $1499.99 I'm looking at right now. 1080i but no mention of 720p. Quite a nice set. As John_Pang mentioned, the 30" Samsung is nice but 4:3 mode is really small. The 34" in 4:3 mode gives you a 27" viewable screen. One of the stretch modes is 14:9 I believe, and it makes 4:3 almost look normal.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've got a 34" 16x9 direct-view. The thing is HUGE...it takes up some serous front/back space and weighs a ton.

Guess what.

Your 46" RP 16x9 set probably takes up *less* front/back room (ie, could be moved closer to the back wall/stick out less into the room) and I'm sure weight substantially less.

If I were you, I'd keep your 46" set and make it work. I honestly don't think you'll gain the advantage of managability you're thinking that you'll find with a slightly smaller direct view. Most options of any reasonable size (34" + 16x9) will stick farther out into the room and weight substantially more...and best case they'll stick out about the same and weight about the same...in that case...why not enjoy the 46" image you're already watching?

-dave

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
p.s. another thought is to go FP and get a budget-priced projector and shine it onto a white wall. You can vary the size to suit your taste and the unit will require even less space than a TV. As long as light-control isn't a problem for critical viewing...that might be the best solution all-way-round.

Get that projector everyone's talking about for under 1K (the X1?)

John_Pang

Grip
Sears in Hawaii definitely carried the 34XBR800. They also have the 50XBR800 and 60XBR800 Grand Wegas. I am not sure if this is a regional to Hawaii exception, however if you re interested in a 16:9 Sony it couldn't hurt to call your local Sears and check availability.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Your 46" RP 16x9 set probably takes up *less* front/back room (ie, could be moved closer to the back wall/stick out less into the room) and I'm sure weight substantially less.
That's very true. Depth-wise, his 46" RPTV is probably skinnier than a 34" Direct-view. However, I'm sure his 46" RPTV is much wider than a 34" Direct-view. Thus, his 46" RPTV will take up more wall space versus the 34" Direct-view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks