16:9 Direct View Forecast?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Bosley, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Stunt Coordinator

Anyone hear any scuttlebut on the chances of new 16:9 direct views this fall, specifically any models under the $2K barrier? There are some good deals out there on the Toshiba and Philips, but there are problems with each as well. I know it's always a risk, but I would feel like a chump to get older, lesser, discounted models if newer technology is just around the corner at the same price point.
    That said, if I was going to take the plunge now, any opinions on which model (Philips or Toshiba) would be the best?

2. Eric Levesque

Eric Levesque Auditioning

Toshiba will release its new 34inch 34HF81 in september or so.
    http://www.toshiba.ca/ceg/html/Flip%20Chart%202001.pdf has its specs as well all of their new TV's
    Suggested price is about 3000$, but i've seen it onwww.nbtelectronics.com for about 2000$us (ETA september) (Price on the site is in $can). DOn't know if the price will still be the same when it's finally released.

3. Bill_M

Bill_M Agent

How about the RCA 38". It comes with a built in DTC-100. When you subtract the cost of the tuner it is about $2,000.

4. Roger W

Roger W Auditioning

Philips has been making direct view 16:9 sets for western European markets for about two years, and 2000 US$ is about the average for a 40" set, but you can't get them in the U.S. (not enough demand?) British stores are apparently selling alot of them.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I searched the Philips web site for England. They show a 36" 16X9 tube but no 40" tube. Additionally, I have never heard of anyone making a 40" 16X9 tube. The cost of such a picture tube would be very high. Sony will be introducing a 40" 4X3 tube set XBR 7000 around the end of the year, priced at $4000 US. It costs much more to make a large tube than a rear projector. Failure rates in production of large tubes is high. Mitusbishi stopped making their 40" 4X3 sets after about 3-4 years. High production costs made for high selling costs. Providing warranty work was also an expensive proposition. These combined for a low profit margin product. With all the experience gained in the last 10 years making 35 and 36 inch tubes, some of the manufacturing problems may have been eased. Still, you don't see many 16X9's over 34" and the 40" 4X3 Sony tube at $4000 will have keen competition from much larger 16X9 rear projectors selling for that price.

6. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Philips has been making direct view 16:9 sets for western European markets for about two years, and 2000 US$ is about the average for a 40" set, but you can't get them in the U.S. (not enough demand?) British stores are apparently selling alot of them.
    Are these HDTV sets? They sell the 34" 16x9 HDTV for $3000+. Its a demand issue because of the high price! [​IMG]