What's new

16:9 anamorphic squeeze on 27" Sony Wega - Not always a good idea! (1 Viewer)

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
It works nice and all, but it is not intelligent enough to distinguish between various widescreen formats. For example it squeezed Dr. No (which is taller than the normal 1.85:1) to 1.85:1 thus making the picture looking squashed. Same with Goldfinger. I turned off the anamorphic squeeze on my TV and turned on the 4:3 letterbox mode on DVD player, and the picture had atleast 2 inches more on the top and the bottom. I am not a technical geek, but I can see the difference clearly.

Does this problem happen in widescreen sets as well?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Basi, on some units WEGAs have been known to "oversqueeze" when going into 16:9 mode. This is correctible via the service menu.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Also I noticed that the geometry is crooked in the top two inches of the screen. But since it is not possible to correct these problems without going into the service menu, I guess I will leave it alone, as I am scared of messing up.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Btw, the link for keohi did not work. Can you please make corrections and post the right URL? I would like to see what they have to say.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Used the service menu successfully with AVIA to adjust the oversqueeze, using the circle IRE grid and a tape measure.

I have a geometry problem at the top two inches of the screen where the grid lines appear bent. Is there a service menu settinng to fix this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks