16:9 anamorphic squeeze on 27" Sony Wega - Not always a good idea!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Basi Nanda, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Basi Nanda

Basi Nanda Stunt Coordinator

It works nice and all, but it is not intelligent enough to distinguish between various widescreen formats. For example it squeezed Dr. No (which is taller than the normal 1.85:1) to 1.85:1 thus making the picture looking squashed. Same with Goldfinger. I turned off the anamorphic squeeze on my TV and turned on the 4:3 letterbox mode on DVD player, and the picture had atleast 2 inches more on the top and the bottom. I am not a technical geek, but I can see the difference clearly.

Does this problem happen in widescreen sets as well?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Basi, on some units WEGAs have been known to "oversqueeze" when going into 16:9 mode. This is correctible via the service menu.

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

What Jack said. You need to check out these pages, and perform everything at your own risk [​IMG]

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...sony_tips.html

16:9 enhanced mode is why you want a Wega of any size. Adjusting the size of the squeeze (and a couple of other things like red push) is a must though.

4. Basi Nanda

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Also I noticed that the geometry is crooked in the top two inches of the screen. But since it is not possible to correct these problems without going into the service menu, I guess I will leave it alone, as I am scared of messing up.

5. Basi Nanda

Btw, the link for keohi did not work. Can you please make corrections and post the right URL? I would like to see what they have to say.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Woiks for me.

7. Basi Nanda

Yup, works now. Guess the site was down yesterday when I tried.

8. Basi Nanda

Used the service menu successfully with AVIA to adjust the oversqueeze, using the circle IRE grid and a tape measure.

I have a geometry problem at the top two inches of the screen where the grid lines appear bent. Is there a service menu settinng to fix this?