What's new

16-46pc+ owners, why did you choose it? (1 Viewer)

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to hear from owners of this sub as to why you chose this model and not the 20-39+, and what your listening levels, room size and listening material is.
I'm torn between the 20-39+ and the 16-46+ so I'd like some htf's views. I know you can tune the 20-39 down if you want so I'm unsure what to do...

I listen about 15-20 below reference, but I'd like to turn it up once in a while. I have 6 1/2 acres with no neighbors within 200 yards. My great room is 20x30, and I plan on buying one powered sub, (we hope.)

John

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
John:

Check my other post on my in-room FR of my 20-39PC+.

In short, with one port plugged, and the SS filter set to 12 Hz (just for testing purposes), my 20-39PC+ was essentially FLAT from 70 Hz to 11 Hz.

I honestly think it could have gone lower, if it weren't for the SS filter set at 12 Hz - it showed no signs of roll-off at all 11 Hz!!

At least in my room, I don't see a need for a 16-46+ enclosure - the 20-39 digs WAY deep enough for me.

Even with all three ports open, I was -3 dB at 16 Hz and only -5 dB at 11 Hz. Again, this is with the SS filter set to 12 Hz for testing purposes only.

Ed

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I chose dual 16-46+'s after consulting with Tom Vodhanel.

Although you can plug a port in the 20-39 to lower the tunning, a 16-46 will have the SPL advantage. In other words a 16-46(no plugs) will go louder than a 20-39 with one port plugged, while providing(aprox.) same extension.

My room is 24'x16' with 16' ceiling and a 7' wide opening to the rest of the house in one corner. Music-wise we listen to everything from Pipe Organ to Salsa and most stuff in between (no rap, please), and movies of course. My preferences are for loud music. Movies loud but not at reference level (WAF issue)

For some (most?), however the 20-39 will go low enough with all ports open.

I've heard of people who have plugged a port on the 16-46 to lower the tunning (down to 12Hz, if my memory serves me right)

So it really boils down to how low and how loud do you want to go. NOT one size fits all.

Best regards.

John

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Although you can plug a port in the 20-39 to lower the tuning, a 16-46 will have the SPL advantage. In other words a 16-46(no plugs) will go louder than a 20-39 with one port plugged, while providing (approx.) the same extension.
VG point - 100% correct, John - this may be a very significant factor in a larger room like yours. Man alive - dual 16-46PC+!! That's some bass!!

Ed

Myron

Agent
I too have dual 16-46PC+s. Again, I've got a pretty large room - 18x23 opening with one side totally open into a 23x25room and 10' ceilings. Ron and Tom recommended either the 20-39 or the 16-46s. I went with the latter as my wife and I listen to a lot of classical, especially pipe organ music as well as HT and want the bass correct. And I wanted to easily get the lower range without having to port the 20-39s. WAF was not a factor. My wife actually really likes the looks of the speakers. (Ya gotta love someone like that. :=) )

I tried porting them to 12hz with one port plug but didn't like the overall resulting sound. It just didn't sound quite right to me. So unplugged them.

But we love the sound. Its extremely good and fast and very very accurate reproduction of bass. And for HT, its eye-opening, feel it bass. We're sold on these speakers.

We don't listen that loud and I've got the speakers set at -3db and -20to-30 on the volume. But we've got all the bass I could ever ask for at those volume settings, with plenty of reserve if needed.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
The reason I got my 16-46 PC+ was purely psychological. If I got the 20-39 I would always wonder "what if?"
If they made a 12-54 (or whatever), I probably would have felt compelled to get that.
I think it goes back to my childhood. I felt deprived. My parents wouldn't buy me a Chevelle 454 Super Sport for graduation...:frowning:

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
I went with dual 16-46 PC's (not +'s, this was prior to +'s). Large room, 26' x 26' x 12' ceiling, I did not want to compromise. I've since upgraded the drivers. I wanted the extra 4 hz, but in the end I agonized over which to buy. Still not sure what the right decision is. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks