16-46CS+ + Snoop Dogg = blown amp. fuse!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I hooked up my new (to me) SVS 16-46Cs+ (thanks, Carl V.) and after some calibration, I decided to hit it with some hard bass.

I don't have a dedicated amp. yet, but I was using the built-in amp. from one of my Klipsch towers (RP-3) for now. 440W, 4 ohm..blah blah..

Anyways, about 10 seconds into a song, all the bass just stops and at first I thought I had destroyed something.

It's a good thing all I blew was the fuse on the back of the amp!

Also, it's really weird FEELING more bass that you can hear. I was listening to my Blue Man Group DVD-A and on track 9, there is some SERIOUSLY low bass that I really couldn't hear, but I knew it was there. It almost started to make me feel uncomfortable. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Joseph_ P

Joseph_ P Stunt Coordinator

HEY SHAWN CONGRATS ON THE NEW TO YOU 16-46CS+!!!!!!!!!!
    THATS THE SAME SUB I OWN, SINCE LAST FEBRUARY.
    I USE THE SAMSON 1000 AMP WITH IT AND IT IS TRULY AWESOME!
    DONT YOU JUST LOVE THAT BASS THAT YOU CANT QUITE HEAR BUT YOU CAN FEEL IT IN THE FLOOR AND THE COUCH. I LOVE MINE
    AND I'M SURE YOU WILL LOVE YOURS TOO, HEY YOU STILL GOT THAT SH!T EATIN GRIN ON YOUR FACE FROM LISTENING TO YOUR SUB? I STILL GET THAT EVEN A YEAR LATER!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Watch out, the drivers that Klipsch has used in the past for subs were 16 ohms and the amp may have been designed for such a load. Driving the CS which should be 4 ohm on such an amp means you were awful lucky to blow only a fuse (sometimes the electronics will sacrifice itself for the fuse[​IMG] ) as this is a cheap experience.

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I checked the specs on the amplifier before hooking it up and Klipsch says that it's 4 ohm. After replacing the fuse, I haven't had the problem again. I just need to pick out a decent amplifier now.

I'm thinking of selling my RP-3 set and going with a set of bookshelves since all I'm using in the towers are the 6 1/2 drivers and the horn tweeter. I have the built-in subs turned off, now that I have the 16-46.

5. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Absoulty make sure the (same size and type) fuse is replaced..! You might find yourself smelling electronics burning instead of a blown fuse next time...

Slow blow, fast blow, etc and size must be correct.

Enjoy your new found S-dog smile[​IMG]
    Geoff

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Thanks for the tips. I just pulled the fuse out of my other tower for a quick replacement, since it's amplifier is not being used anymore. I'm making a trip to Radio Shack today to get 2 new fuses.