What's new

16-46CS+ + Snoop Dogg = blown amp. fuse! (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I hooked up my new (to me) SVS 16-46Cs+ (thanks, Carl V.) and after some calibration, I decided to hit it with some hard bass.

I don't have a dedicated amp. yet, but I was using the built-in amp. from one of my Klipsch towers (RP-3) for now. 440W, 4 ohm..blah blah..

Anyways, about 10 seconds into a song, all the bass just stops and at first I thought I had destroyed something.

It's a good thing all I blew was the fuse on the back of the amp!

Also, it's really weird FEELING more bass that you can hear. I was listening to my Blue Man Group DVD-A and on track 9, there is some SERIOUSLY low bass that I really couldn't hear, but I knew it was there. It almost started to make me feel uncomfortable. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
HEY SHAWN CONGRATS ON THE NEW TO YOU 16-46CS+!!!!!!!!!!
THATS THE SAME SUB I OWN, SINCE LAST FEBRUARY.
I USE THE SAMSON 1000 AMP WITH IT AND IT IS TRULY AWESOME!
DONT YOU JUST LOVE THAT BASS THAT YOU CANT QUITE HEAR BUT YOU CAN FEEL IT IN THE FLOOR AND THE COUCH. I LOVE MINE
AND I'M SURE YOU WILL LOVE YOURS TOO, HEY YOU STILL GOT THAT SH!T EATIN GRIN ON YOUR FACE FROM LISTENING TO YOUR SUB? I STILL GET THAT EVEN A YEAR LATER!!!!!!!!!:D

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Watch out, the drivers that Klipsch has used in the past for subs were 16 ohms and the amp may have been designed for such a load. Driving the CS which should be 4 ohm on such an amp means you were awful lucky to blow only a fuse (sometimes the electronics will sacrifice itself for the fuse:angry: ) as this is a cheap experience.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I checked the specs on the amplifier before hooking it up and Klipsch says that it's 4 ohm. After replacing the fuse, I haven't had the problem again. I just need to pick out a decent amplifier now.

I'm thinking of selling my RP-3 set and going with a set of bookshelves since all I'm using in the towers are the 6 1/2 drivers and the horn tweeter. I have the built-in subs turned off, now that I have the 16-46.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
After replacing the fuse, I haven't had the problem again.
Hi, Shawn. Sometimes fuses will blow due to "fuse fatigue" rather than true overload conditions.

This means that an old fuse that has been run close to capacity for a while will weaken and evetually fail.

Make sure you use the same rating fuse as the one called for in the fuse holder. If everything continues to run normally, then you should be fine.

A dedicated amp for your CS+ is the way to go, though.

Happy subwoofing.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Absoulty make sure the (same size and type) fuse is replaced..! You might find yourself smelling electronics burning instead of a blown fuse next time...

Slow blow, fast blow, etc and size must be correct.

Enjoy your new found S-dog smile:D
Geoff

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tips. I just pulled the fuse out of my other tower for a quick replacement, since it's amplifier is not being used anymore. I'm making a trip to Radio Shack today to get 2 new fuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks