1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

1585A vs. 1701A vs. 1577A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Carswell, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

1st off it is my understanding that Belden CAT5 cable is made with 24g solid core OFC copper with a Teflon Insulation in a PVC jacket. That being said, the Plenum Flamarrest Jacket is basically just a better/higher spec'ed outer PVC jacket correct? Not that it matters b/c it's going to be sh*t canned anyway, just wanted to be 100% sure [​IMG] . I have heard different things about it but this has always been my take. So on to my main question: What are the differences between the standard Belden 1585A & 1701A? What about the 1577A? It still has the FEP insulation just like the 1585A & 1701A just with more conductors (24 vs. 8). What do you guys think?

2. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

1585a: 4 pair, solid 24 ga, FEP insulation, flame arrest jacket, with what looks like a string to rip the jacket.
    1701A: same as above with no rip thing
    Cant find anything on 1577A.

Looks like it's all the same after you rip it apart.

You're making the CVH braided speaker cables right? I tried it, and it's a pain in the @$$. Use gloves cuz you're going to get blisters.

I'm not sure the ripped apart and braided version is better than the TnT one where you braid them in the jackets. After getting half of the first one done, I gave up and just did the TnT version. It will literally take all day for th CVH one. That's just too much time for a DIY experiment with speaker cables. The TnT one takes about an hour, and is audibly better than 12 ga, but that could just be because I used 8 cat5's and it's like 9 ga effective.

Good luck with your braiding.

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Hi, I have some 1701A, it is very similar to 1585A... same teflon coated wires, has a ripcord also... but the pairs are bonded together, meaning each white wire is glued to its corresponding colored wire. It will work fine for the Chris Venhaus cable design, however you will have to cut the pairs apart at the ends... so it will take a few extra minutes to terminate. If you order the 8 cent per foot Cat5 from MECI they send 1701A even though it says 1585A.

4. Chris Carswell

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm not going to do the CVH design. I've read the TNT one a while back but can't find their web site. It you've got their site handy post that bad boy for me so I can take another look.
    I'm doing my own designs. The CAT5 stuff is just to play with/experiment. The sonic qualities will be close but for some designs that don't turn out so well I'm not burning up my $$$good$$$ wire. It gets expensive at $5 to $8 a foot for some of this stuff.

5. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

6. Chris Carswell

Thanks Walt [​IMG] [​IMG]