153 db ?? !! ?? Car audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Levesque, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I'm arguing with a 17 years old customer, telling me is "kicker" system in his car can reach 153 db w/o any prob (probably distorded like hell). I don't care at all for car audio, but is he lying?? He says that for around 2000$ it's easy to do!! The site kicker.com says some people are reaching around 170 db with 20 amps and 20 subs!! Is it only distorted sound, or is it actually listenable??

Are they all crazy and anxious to go deaf by 20?? When this young loser is around with his car, all the bottles in my pharmacy are shaking!!

And I was thinking that reaching around 110 db at home was really loud!!

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

pretty easy to do really.

Lots of power, lots of displacement. It's all bass.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    No, it's all cabin gain!

I can hit over 130dB fairly clean in my car with a single 12" and about 200W. You put about 4-15" subs with a couple kilowatts of power in a SUV and you can hit over 150dB easy. It's all cabin gain. Just like if you were to take your HT sub and put it in the closset, seal it off and sit in the closset with it.

Oh, and anyone listening to these levels without earplugs is asking for trouble. Maybe also a heart attack.

Sometimes the bass in cars hit so hard and loud people perform CPR on themselves through their audio system. I heard a story of a high schooler stopping his heart due to extreme SPL's in his car due to the pressure the subs put out. Can't say if it's true or not but I'm sure it is possible.

5. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

High SPL in a car is fairly easy. Low bass in a car is one thing you get for pretty close to free. Depending on the sanctioning body, the world records for most power classes these days are over 160 dB. There have been some instances where vehicles have hit over 170 dB, but the measuring conventions can be a little suspect. Nonetheless, the real serious SPL vehicles are completely reconstructed to be ultra-rigid and air-tight (1" thick Lexan windshields and interiors re-built with welded steel plate). Several tens-of-thousands of watts is not unusual, and multiples of massive-displacement woofers are a must. The concept is crazy, but it can be kind of interesting and very challenging to push the laws of physics like these guys do! (I say guys, but the world SPL record was held by a woman in her sixties - Alma Gates - for several years.)

6. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Why is he a loser? Because he dumps thousands of dollars into his hobby that other people don't get? Sounds like HT to me.

Brandon

7. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

The good news is that most of these guys aren't stupid enough to be in their cars when they really crank it up. Levels that high can cause permanent hearing damage in a matter of minutes.

Heart stoppage? An urban legend if I ever heard one.

8. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent

well, kickers are fairly good subs, mainly the L7 series. if he's getting low 150s, he has more then 2 subs in their and some serious wattage. it is possible, but he's gonna have a fairly large system in his car. and the other guys are right, cabin gain. get that metal frame a rockin baby. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    brandon

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I used to hit in the neighborhood of 130dB also with a dual 10" isobaric that I built, fed by a bridged 150wpc amp @

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well he's on his way to permanent hearing loss.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I rarely turned it up that loud, but I agree, permanent hearing loss is a definite possibility with that kind of SPL.

12. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

I thought that 140-150dbs was considered lethal

13. David Sim

David Sim Agent

I would hear these guys driving down the street in front of my house over my HT.
    It can get pretty irritating at times. Well, it was until I got my SVS, now I can't hear them over my own bass. [​IMG]
    I used to get mad at them until my brother-in-law reminded me of the stuff we used to do as kids. [​IMG]
    When I was younger if you had a car at all you were cool. (yeah, I said cool)
    Now if you have a car that can make pedestrians ears bleed...

14. ColtonA

ColtonA Stunt Coordinator

Dont judge, or be judged. Car audio is an awsome hobby, and 150db is the mininum for most spl competitiors today. Hell my buddys IDMAX (SQ Sub) hit 147 in 2.5 cu. sealed. No of course he doesnt listen to it that loud but the headroom there to listen to your music to the point of comfort with minimal distortion is awsome. Its not hard to hit over 150 db with a single sub setup, but in order to hit that 150db is all install dependent. 99% of SPL competitors use ported enclosure tuned extremely high, so yes, they sound like crap for a daily driver. but back to my friends idmax, sealed enclosure SQ sub so it goes to show you that its not hard to hit 150db.

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If you spend more than 5 or 10 minutes at 150 dB or higher, I am pretty near certain you will be deaf in the frequency range of the sound that was being played at 150 dB.

16. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

17. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Wow! Thanks for all those replys! Sorry if I said loser, it's not because of his hobby, but because of personal things I can relate here (it's the amp forum, not the family matters forum...lol).

If I understand well, the "hobby" here is to reach the highest db counts, but for what, 3 seconds ?? more ??

He is doing a kind of "competition" with me, telling me that my home theater is crap because I cannot reach that high db counts!! I think we can't really understand each other here, because we come from 2 different "sound" philosophy. Quality against quantity. I prefer quieter with clean and detailed sound, and for him, a "good" sound is a loud sound. Are they more audiophile then us, then??

18. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

19. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

2 kicker l7 15's 500
    2 1500 watts rms amps 600
    upgrade electrical system 400
    cd player 200
    Install supplies (Inc MDF) 300
    -----------------------------------
    Total 2000
    SPL 150 legal on dash

Nate Munson hit 168.9 db Legal with 1 10 inch sub and 5000 watts RMS and people in the 1-2 sub extreame class are hitting over 170 db's.

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah. I hate crazy SPL's. I have on older post on here expressing my concern after spending a few minutes in a car with a not so bright individual. The bass was so loud it was unconfortable. I eventually had him turn it down. I cherish my hearing and it would be a shame to lose it. I have experienced mild hearing loss from loud concerts. Man if only I knew. I have a regular supply of ear plugs around and I haven't been to a show (band in a bar) in a while. I use them when I mow the lawn (I have an un-powered push mower now though, but until the blades work in, its annoying sounding).
    Anyways, good sound is dynamic and clean. It doesn't have to be terribly loud. At home I try to keep my listening below 85-90 dB at the listening postion. Sometimes I play it louder, but very seldom and never for long. I most often listen to music at 75-80 dB.
    Keep your wits about you folks!
    YOU NEED YOUR EARS!!!
    [​IMG]