1503 in a sealed 16" cube???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg P, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Greg P

Greg P Stunt Coordinator

I finally got unibox downloaded so I got to see what the responce would be for the driver. I have a couple of questions.

1. I dont need a linkwintz chip like everyone was talking about earlier, a BFD should do fine correct?

2. Im aiming for a QTC of .63. A 16" I calculated should have enough volume (exterior) however, I want it as small as possible, will the baffle be big enough?

3. Im planning on buying the QSC RMX - 850 this should give me enough power to eq flat at 110db-112db at 22hz and up?

I know the unit has a fan, but I heard it was dead quiet, is this true?

I'm ordering the loudspeaer cookbook before I start building, so I may have more questions. Thanks for the help!

2. I have a couple of 1503's in 45L enclosures and I am using the BFD. I think that you don't need a LT circuit if you are below 0.707. The eqing may not be as clean as a LT, but you also have the ability to null the inductance hump and help with the room modes/nodes.

For the enclosure, make sure that it is very well braced, or thick. I will be making a 17.5" cube some time soon with 1.5" thick walls. If I remember right, the outer diameter of the 1503 is 15 10/16. A 16" cube is really pushing it. I suggest 16.5 or 17....especially if you plan on rounding over the edges at all.

The RMX 850 produces 830watts @ 4ohms bridged continuous. This works out to [email protected] in a 40L enclosure.

3. Greg P

Greg P Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

I was thinking though that leveling off the inductace hump will leave extra power to hit about 109-110db from 22hz and up. Also if there is any room gain I should be able to reach that, correct. The responce starts fading at about 29hz. So from about 22-28hz would I have enough power to eq up that high? Your Q then of those 1503 is around .6. Do they have enough punch. I think around .63 or .64 is ideal for me. I have an SVS that has a Q of .5777 and it doesnt have quite enough punch for me, that is why Im reluctant to go into th .5 range with the Q. I know that sound is mostly determined by Q, but I have an earthquake sub, and I know the high excursion drivers have a very dynamic characteristic to them, which Im hoping this one does.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer