$1500 to spend

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David_MI, Aug 17, 2005.

1. David_MI

David_MI Auditioning

Hello, I have got about 1500 to spend on a new setup. I've always had jbl and would like to know what you experts recomend for a new setup.
    the reciever that I am getting willbe a yammy 5790. the speakers (I have now Idea what to get. my living room is 15x20 I will be using for 100% movie/sports.
    I am in the process of getting a pioneer plasma. I was considering the jbl e80 for the main, e50 for the rear and a ec35 for the center and a jbl sub.

but after reading all the post on this board I am very confused. I want a system that will rock/scare you out of your seat.

i've read a lot about this svs pb10 and I am very impressed with the reviews it has recieved.

Please help me out.

thanks,

2. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I think the JBL's will serve you fine for your purpose, but I'd go with the SVS sub instead of the JBL. I don't think you can do better at the PB10's price point.

Mike

3. John S

John S Producer

"but after reading all the post on this board I am very confused. I want a system that will rock/scare you out of your seat."

Go for the Yammy 5890 instead, for HT these days given your above statement, you want a Velodyne DLS5000R as your lowest cost sub solution. Your speaker choices as far as keeping costs down are very good.

You need extra power and a meaner sub to truly scare people.... You want that first growl of the T-Rex on Jurrasic Park to visably frighten people right? [​IMG]

4. Brown_A

Brown_A Auditioning

I have the E-80, EC-35 and E-30 JBL. All the ranges are pretty good, Midrange could just a tad improved but it's great all around. There are alot of great speakers out there and about everyone here will tell you one over the other. That's what's great about audio speakers. I'm getting a YAMMY YST-SW315 subwoofer, since it's all I can afford. Can't quite afford an SVS sub yet, unless you guys have suggestions where to get them.

5. John S

John S Producer

Brown_A, for just a little more $138.00 you can get the Dayton 12" with more power.

It would be well worth the price difference.

6. Brown_A

Brown_A Auditioning

Yeah but for my room size, it would be to much LOL. Btw John I have a Yammy HTR-5740 driving those speakers is there any receivers that would be any better but under $300 or should I just keep using what I have.

7. Brown_A

Brown_A Auditioning

I may have to save up some mroe for the higher 400-500 end receivers. Not sure if the difference is that noticable.

8. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

You'd be better off saving up for a better sub IMHO. You can never have too much.

9. John S

John S Producer

If your goal is more for the highest of fidelity, Robert Hoffman is right on.....

If your goal is just to have a system you can be happy with, then nothing wrong at all with the Dayton subs.

Higher end AVR's generally give you power, unless you think your current AVR is strained at the loudest volume levels you listen at, then a better AVR isn't buying you much gain performance wise.

10. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

ditto about the bass, You can Never have too much, i'd much rather feel the t-rex's steps than Just hear a little 10" sub tell me he's walking! Good deep bass adds a whole new demension to a home theatre.

11. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

David MI,

I have a JBL e150. It's horrendous, and I have always kicked myself for buying it from day one. Some people say the e250 is much better though I think for the under $300 price range that $138 Dayton 12" sub sounds more like the way to go.

Also for your receiver, if it's 100% HT I'd keep it cheap, in fact I'd look into the new pure-digital Panasonic sa-xr55 ($240, amazon.com) or an HK 230/330 from Harman Audio on eBay (refurb but with full HK original warranty). The Panny's the wild card; some people claim to be selling off separates costing 5 times more after trying it.