$1500 to spend on AVR, speakers, & sub

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Karim_A, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Karim_A

Karim_A Auditioning

I've been doing lots of research, but I'm completely overwhelmed by choices. So I was hoping the board could give me some direction.

In the AVR dept. I think H/K AVR 325($369 refurb ecost) or 330($480 J&R) from what I've read. If you have a better choice I'm open.

But when it comes to speakers and sub I get lost in all the choices. I don't care if the system is set with 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. I just want the best bang for the buck.

The room is roughly 18 x 12. And the sofa is 9 feet from the TV.

thanks for any input

2. Daryn D

Daryn D Agent

The avr 325 should serve you well. I have a refurb avr 320 and have had no problems with it. I'm not sure what the 330 has that the 325 doesn't, maybe 5-10 more watts, but I doubt it is worth the $100 more.

Speakers, you have around $900 left. I would suggest looking at the Paradigm monitor line. They sound much better than many more expensive speakers. Also, you can usually find some on ebay or audiogon. But make sure you know what new price is as sometimes the ebay/audigon prices + shipping approach new cost.

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I suggest checking out this package from AV123. Great bang for the buck. The "unnamed" receiver is a Denon AVR-1804. They are an authorized dealer for Denon as well.

4. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I second the Rocket package above.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The ELT/Denon package mentioned by Alex and Michael is indeed a fine value.

I have heard this exact system and was very impressed.

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

A couple other suggestions:

Ascend Acoustics has the highly acclaimed CBM-170, and they can also package HK receivers and Hsu subwoofers. With the refurbed HK you found, an Ascend package may be slightly over your budget...but IMO, worth it.

You may also want to contact Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio Design and see what kind of a sub/speaker package he may be able to put together for you. I have purchased custom stands from him and his work is very nice. I currently have a pair of his Micro speakers that ended up here in California for demos, and I have been very impressed with them.

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Axiom epic system and buy your preference of receiver for about $300-400