1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

$1500 to spend at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Displays' started by benGraham, Aug 10, 2004.

1. benGraham

benGraham Auditioning

I have a Best Buy Certificate for 1500 and cant spend much more than that. i want at least a 50 inch tv. Want would be a good choice for me. My room is fairly dark. And I watch mostly DVD's play xbox and will get high def the end of this year.

thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

For the $1500 and below price, look for a deal on a Philips... Pretty nice CRT Rear Projection units, for the prices they can be obtained for. Get the largest one you can, probably even a 55" or larger for that sort of money.....

Best of luck for you.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I work at Best Buy, and from what I have seen, out $1400 46" Toshiba is excellent. Never heard of problems, picture looks great, and it is affordable. I would stay away from a bigger TV for the same money, they are not as good (picture and quality)

Sometimes, we will have 55" Mitsubishi open box for $1500ish.

4. Kenneth Harden

Jim:

He has the money for BEST BUY, thats whats at issue here.

5. Monte Montemayo

Hey Kenneth - does Best Buy carry the Panasonic PT-L500U?

6. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I think he was just pointing out how much price-wise that item can go for.

Ive got a 55" mits. Its great. paid $2,800 for it 2 1/2 years ago on sale at Tweeter. I wish I waited a year, price came down a grand. oh well. thats why im waiting for a plasma.

If you can find a 55" Mits, Id recommend it, but not without a decent parts/labor warranty included, especially on an open box item.

7. John S

John S Producer

I only mention Philips because I like mine so much, and I was at a Best Buy here in Denver (well Golden, CO) last night and they had the 55PW9363 on sale for $1499..... 55" with DVI, not a bad deal at all. It wasn't open box , refurbished or anything like that.

8. Kenneth Harden

Monte:

No, not yet.

It is now public info that our store is going to get a Magnolia Hi-Fi (a very high-level one) among other improvements.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for bb, stick with either mits or tosh. ignore everything else.

kenneth - which store are you at? i work at one here in sac ... unfortunately our magnolia is across the street. [​IMG]

man, i would *love* to have them integrated. also, i thought they weren't going to allow "cross-selling"???

10. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Ben, how long is the best buy certificate good for? Since the newer HDTV models are coming out in the next month or two you might want to wait for them. One of the newer models already out is the Toshiba 51H84. Though the best buy website says that it has a DVI-HDCP input it actually has the newer HDMI input. HDMI besides sending audio can also send control signals and is a more user friendly connection than DVI-HDCP is. I also believe that in the future all new video consoles will probably have an HDMI output. The Toshiba 57H84 manual can be downloaded here and pages 15, 16, and 58 have information on the HDMI connection. Both the component and HDMI inputs can accept a 480i, 480p , 720p, and 1080i signal. Considering that most X-box games that can do High Definition use 720p it is important that any TV you buy can accept a 720p signal.

11. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Yes, definetly watch for this one. My Mits is a couple years old and it can only do 480p, 480i, and 1080i, no 720p. Tony Hawk's Underground on Xbox is 720p, and I cant see it. but Enter the Matrix is 1080i, that looks incredible.

12. Kenneth Harden

Ted: check your PM.

13. benGraham

benGraham Auditioning

My certificate should be good forever. I got it from work because I had more billable hours for anyone the first 6 months of the year. So yippy. I would love to get an DLP or LCD but I just cant justify the cost. At least not yet. I just want the tv for football season or at worse the superbowl.

thanks

all

14. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

You'd probably be happy with Toshiba's 51H84.

15. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Since you said your room was fairly dark, have you considered FP? Unfortunately Best Buy does not have a large selection of models popular on the forum, but they do carry the popular x1. Perhaps since you work there you could arrange a demo for yourself to see if you would like going that route. Plus since the x1 is only 1000, you could have money left over for other components.

I see you wrote your looking to go hidef. The x1 is not hd resolution, just accepts hd signals. However if you look at the avsforum, many claim to have gotten great results feeding the projector hd signals. Plus I have read that some of the lower priced direct view hd sets do not resolve the full hd resolution, so I wouldnt totally discount the x1 for that.

Hope that helps

16. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

But then you have to worry about getting a decent screen for a decent picture.

17. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I really dont believe in spending much on a screen, especially for low cost projector. There is no reason someone can't make a good screen themselves out of 20 bucks worth of blackout cloth.

18. benGraham

benGraham Auditioning

Ok here is an update i Sold the gift certificate fo 1425.00. So i can throw a little bit of money into it. Any ideas.

thanks