$1500 Receiver budget...now, which one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arvin_C, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Arvin_C

Arvin_C Agent

Hello everyone.
    Looking for suggestions.opinions on a receiver in the $1000-$1500 range. Would love it to be THX certified, but not neccessary. Of course, should have DPLII, EX, DTS ES, etc.
    I have not been reading up on what's the latest and greatest out there and what it costs, hence my question. If only I had $3000 or so for a B&K 307...[​IMG]
    ArvinC

2. Bobbi D

Bobbi D Agent

My recommendation-------Rotel RSX-1055, the most musical A/V receiver in that price range. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and could not be happier.[​IMG]

3. granite_g

granite_g Agent

My recommendation.... Sherwood r-963. The best bang for your buck..$ 7 channel/ 140 watts can operate two zones. All the formats you could want(DD,DPLll,dts-ex sacd, dvd-a ready, bass mgmt and much more) Not to mention is sounds great in music and ht. I bought mine for a great price..! If your interested on where to purchase one let me know

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

My reco.. Denon 3802 + 125x5 channel used amp (Rotel, Parasound, B&K, Marantz, Anthem, etc.) or a Marantz 8200. It would help to know what speakers you plan to run, listening preferences (loud, soft), Music or HT preference, etc.

5. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I'm one of those that neither owns or lusts after THX, but you have heard THX and in your own words "would love to have this feature". Your budget allows for you to look for this logo and I wouldn't settle for anything that didn't have it. We buy this stuff because of certain sound qualities or features that we will enjoy. It really can be that THX should be at the top of your list, and that you should not settle for anything less.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I agree with Jack.. You want THX, get THX. With that budget, you should be able to find a decent receiver from Denon, Onkyo/Integra...

7. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I second Yogi's advice.
    I'd spend about $1k on a 5 channel amp and the rest on a h/k AVR320 or a similar receiver as a pre/pro.

8. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

a Marantz mm9000 5ch amp and a denon 3802 will out-perform most 1500$recievers.

9. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

You should consider the Denon 3802 and a Parasound CHA1205A.

10. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I second Michael suggestion. I have a Denon 3802 with a Parasound HCA-1205A and the sound that this system puts out is sweetier than YooHoo [​IMG]
    Especially since it would be under budget.
    $700 Denon 3802
    $640 Parasound 1205A (Price I paid)
    Total $1340

11. Arvin_C

Arvin_C Agent

Thanks everyone.

As per Yogi's inquiry, I plan on running either NHT's or Def/Techs in my h/t setup. (Was thinking Magnepan, but they are too difficult to place in my basement...)

Will be primarily for video, and I like my my audio crisp and clear...think more like a audiophile in this respect.

Was thinking of going the seperate route...Parasound, etc. But, was looking at Integra's line and thunk I might try and find a dealer in my area. If not...maybe over the net (if I can find a net-dealer).

Thanks for the input...keep it coming!