$1500 for WS-55809 - Should I?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jason Beaumont, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Jason Beaumont

Jason Beaumont Auditioning

Hi everyone,

A friend of a friend wants to sell his Mitsubishi WS-55809 for $1500. He's moving and needs to get rid of it. It looks to be in perfect condition. I currently don't have an HD capable TV and would like one for watching movies and playing games in progressive scan. What are your thoughts on this system?

Thanks!

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Buying TVs used always is a crapshoot. How long has he had it? Has it been burning at factory levels of contrast and brightness? Is he a home theater buff who has ISF'd it? Has he tweaked with it and potentially messed it up? What about warranty (I think you have none if you buy it off of him and it breaks).

There's a bunch of questions that need to be answered. $1500 is certainly a decent price for something which goes for $2200 new (via Google). But at the same time, $1500 will get you any number of new HDTVs, or even an entry level FP like an Infocus X1, Panny 200u (300u is just a tad over $1500), or Sanyo PLV-Z1 - and most of these will leave you cash for a screen too.

If it were your friend (rather than a friend of a friend) and you wanted to help him out, I'd understand. But since you're pretty far removed from the person, and the deal isn't that great (I'd consider it if it were $1200 or less) and that there are other options for new stuff with manufacturer warranties, I'd look elsewhere.

3. Jason Beaumont

Jason Beaumont Auditioning

Carlo, thanks for you advice. I agree with you and think I'll hold off on this one. Thanks!