$1500 for lcd/plasma, please help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BlaineG, Mar 29, 2005.

1. BlaineG

BlaineG Extra

Hello everyone, i am in the market for a 32" or larger lcd or plasma. My budget is $1500 but it can be stretched a few hundred more if absolutely necessary. I just want the best picture quality for the price; cabinet and speaker quality is irrelevant, however it must be an lcd/plasma for space reasons as it is going to be mounted on the wall. Thank you all in advance for any help. I did find a 32" AudioVox FPE3205 on buy.com for $1600 but could not find any reviews of it anywhere.

2. John S

John S Producer

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The unit John points to is a great panel at an unheard of price (least ways unheard of by me up till now). There are going to be additional costs...shipping, mounts, extra inputs you may want, etc...so you may have to up your budget for plasma.

Mort

4. BlaineG

BlaineG Extra

Thank you both for the replies i appreciate it. 42" does sound nice, but you recommend going with an EDTV over an hdtv in this price range? Also that link does sound like a good deal but after the $250 for shipping it is $1714 and i am not sure how respectable that retailer is? I can get it from newegg.com which i highly respect for $1835 with $1 shipping.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Wow, that is a good price for that Panasonic... How is this one related to the 42PD25U/P ?

6. John S

John S Producer

BlaineG in that price range if you want plasma, there is no HD option. And this ED panel performs much better than the more bargain HD panels.

I am not endorsing the posted retailer by any means. I was price shopping it and the retailer seemed trusted from their posted feedback at BizRate or something like that, and they had the lowest price, and they listed it as in-stock. The shipping is way way high so that makes sense for the low price I suppose as this is a common intenret retailer ploy.

7. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

8. John S

John S Producer

Kevin C Brown. I believe they are identical except the one you listed has HD Tuners built in to it.

9. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Tigerdirect has a 42" Pioneer Plasma EDTV for $1749+shipping, the 42" Panasonic EDTV is $1799+shipping.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- Thanks. I wasn't sure but suspected that. The 7UY is the pro version?

11. BlaineG

BlaineG Extra

Thank you all for the help i appreciate it. The panasonic does seem like a great screen but i am a little confused about a few things. It is an EDTV and has no tuners built in, but if i plug in a high definition satellite box into it that uses dvi outputs will it be able to display the high definition channels, or will they just look like normal tv? Also i have been reading alot about burn in but cannot seem to find a diffinitive answer. If i am watching a widescreen dvd that has black bars on the top and bottom of it will the screen burn in those black bars, if so i'm assuming i will have to use a zoom function which will distort the picture?

12. John S

John S Producer

Burn is still an issue with them. It has been greatly improved though. So the chances are just about as bad as with CRT these days.

The display will take 720p and 1080i HD, it scales this down to 480p (ED).. I don't consider ED as standard television. HD displayed on or as ED is still very impressive in my opinion.

13. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

BlaineG,
    What is your typical viewing distance? At 10 feet or greater, the Panasonic ED plasma looks terrific, but if you are going to be seated at 8 feet or less, then the pixel structure may become distracting. Between 8 and 10 feet, the sensitivity to this varies widely from person to person. If you are going to sit at less than 10 feet from the display, I recommend that you view one of these (or a similar ED model) in person to see if this is a problem for you.

You will need to purchase the DVI blade separate to connect to the cable tuner, however, I doubt that you will see a significant difference between DVI and component for this display. In either case, HD will still look significantly better than SD and DVD.

Burn-in is no longer a significant problem with these displays. Try to watch mostly (80%) full screen for the first 100-200 hours and then don't worry about it.

-Steve

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Burn in also becomes a lot less of an issue if you properly calibrate it. Most displays come set up way too bright from the manufacturer.

15. Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete Stunt Coordinator

I've been thinking about getting the Panasonic ED plasma as well. I'm looking at the 37" model and I will be using it mostly for videogames and movies. I'm going to use it in a smaller room and will only have 7-8' of viewing distance. Will this be enough distance?

Also, should I really be concerned if I plan on playing 4:3 games on it in their natural aspect ratio? I'm not really concerned about burn in from health bars or HUDs from widescreen games but I am curious about burn in from the black side bars.

I've looked at some of the 32" LCD models as the other option but the picture quality/price ratio doesn't seem all that great.

16. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

FYI, the general consensus is that 8' is okay with the 37" ED because it has a smaller pixel structure. The consumer version of the 37" is sold by several of the big box retailers, so it might be worth while for you to confirm this before you buy.

-Steve

17. BlaineG

BlaineG Extra

Thank you all for the help i appreciate it. My only concern now is if i get a HD cable box and connect it using the only component input, what do i do for my dvd player? I have a marantz dv6500 dvd player and i feel like i will be putting it to shame with just s-video? So that means i'm stuck paying $200+ for the add-on card for additional inputs?

18. Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete Stunt Coordinator

Video switcher. There are plenty of threads about these on the forum. Just do a search. You can always use more component inputs.