$1500 Budget, what would buy???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dean_S, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

The $1500 needs to cover 5.1 speakers, recvr, dvd player. This is for co-worker that asked me about Bose and I'm trying to steering him (at least to listen) to other brands. I sent him to the store to listen to some of the Onkyo HTiBs but I feel that you could put together a nicer system for the full $1500. Here's what I told him to consider and I'd like more budget suggestions since "budget" is not usually my thing: 4 NHT SB1s, 1 SC1, Panasonic XR70 recvr, I didn't have a good suggestion for the DVD or sub to keep this under $1500 but his TV doesn't have DVI or HDMI so the upconverting players are not necessary for him.

2. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Yeah, you could do nicer than Bose.

This Audioholics recommendation seems to be pretty good. Your friend's budget is a little larger, but you can get an idea of how they apportioned funds to each area.

They also have a $3K recommendation, but I thought this one would be easier to extrapolate. Just kick it up a notch in each area until all the money is gone! [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Mike

3. John S

John S Producer

I'd buy a Velodyne 15" Sub (DR5000??) and then get the Onkyo 770 system + a DVD player. Should come in under budget, even if you wanted to upgrade the mains to something better.

On an even better money savings, do a search on the Velodyne CHT-15, they can still be found for around the $500 mark.

4. dang tong

dang tong Auditioning

This is what I'd suggesst:

Front: Athena AS-F1 : $207/pair on sale at BestBuy right now
    (or Athena AS-b1: $100/pair on sale at BestBuy right now)
    Center: Athena AS-C1: $97 on sale at BestBuy right now
    Rear: Athena AS-b1: $100/pair on sale at BestBuy right now

Sub: HSU research $425 shipped from the manufacture

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1015TX : $449 shipped from vanns
    (or Panasonic SA-XR70s: $400 shipped from jandr

DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S : $135 shipped from circuitcity.com

I think this is a great system for the price if your local bestbuy still have those Athena speakers. And this is right within the budget $1257-$1413

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Ascend Acoustics S22-11 package with the Pioneer 1014 or one of the digital receivers with a sub $100 DVD player would fit the budget.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Home Theater Direct just put their original Level Three's on clearance. Level Three tower mains, center, and bookshelf surrounds with a Pioneer 1014TX, an SVS PB10, and maybe a Samsung 841 would come in under $1600. Seems like that'd be extremely tough to beat for the money. The Level Three's are available in black, dark cherry, and light cherry but they are out of the center in black.

7. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Hmmm, I love vicarious shopping!

1. receiver: Pioneer 1014, $350 shipped, onecall.com

2. front 3 speakers and subwoofer: Ascend 170s L/C/R and Hsu STF-2 sub, $931 shipped, ascendacoustics.com

3. rear surrounds, Polk R15s, $100 shipped, jandr.com

4. Toshiba 3960 DVD player, $50 shipped, jandr.com

Total: $1431 --- $70 left over is plenty for speaker cable and interconnects, or upgrade to the Hsu VTF-2 for an extra $100.

8. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Dean, check out the $3K system recommendation at Audioholics also. Their price includes the TV, which you can omit. That'll bring you to your price point. They recommend the RBH 5.1 system which I got for my sister. For what it is, it's a stellar performer.

The other reco's here are good too. I think you've got plenty of options out there. Good luck.

Mike

9. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Retail options:

Speakers
    The Paradigm Cinema 110 CT system offers excellent performance and only costs $800, leaving a bit of room for speaker stands. Includes a sub. Reviewed in the current Sound & Vision magazine.

Receiver
    The Pioneer VSX-815 at $365 offers outstanding ease of use, as well as automatic calibration and EQ. A tremendous bargain. Pioneer's 2005 lineup, designated by "15", is simply awesome. All of their receivers are safe choices.

DVD Player
    Not counting DVI, Secrets seems to have the Toshiba 3960 rated as the best under $200. But, it only costs $70.

Throw in wiring and tax, and you've got a system that I would be proud to own.