$1500 budget for a receiver and speaker system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Dec 2, 2002.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

My friend is finally going to get a surround sound system for his movie adict self. He and his wife have come up with a maximum of $1500 to spend on this system, which needs to consist of:
    1) Receiver with enough of the new formats to make it useful
    2) Speakers & Sub (only going for 5.1 here)

I'm a Paradigm/marantz man but I don't think his budget will work well with those components. I appriciate any suggestions.

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

Sticking with Marantz/Paradigm,
    2 Mini-Moniters ($350)
    2 Titans ($220)
    1 CC-170 ($200)
    Marantz SR-4300 ($430)
    Sub...? PDR-8?
    uhhh.... I think that's below $1500 [​IMG]. Not sure what sub to get. You could stick 4 Titans instead, and have enough money for the Hsu VTF-2, a great sub for $450.

3. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

How about the following:
    Front - 2 Axiom M3TiSe
    Center - 1 Axiom VP100
    Surround - 2 Axiom QX4
    ----------------------
    Total: Less than ~$1100CDN / ~$720US shipped (via Marc at Audioshop)
    - Axiom Holiday Rebate $50 (see axiom newsletter)
    =$670

Pair that with a Hsu VTF-2:
    ~ US$500 shipped

And finally a Denon 1803:
    ~US$380

Total: ~$1550

For that price you would get a *really* nice system.

Note: I *think* I have exaggerated the prices you could get on the listed Axiom system from Marc....

Matthew

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Both good suggestions. I think I would change nick's though, keep the minis in the front, and downgrade the rears to atoms. Put that little extra change into the sub, and get a good sub. Hmm, i didn't notice the center, i beleive the 370 is the one that matches the minis. You would really want to keep the center up to snuff with the minis. A tad bit over budget if you get a good sub, but probably quite nice IMO.

5. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

The Adire Rava sub is $399 plus shipping. I think your friend would be happy with Paradigm or Axiom. If you check with Marc at audioshop.ca he may talk you into a Dalquist speaker system, also a Canadian speaker company with a similar sound. I got some for my daughter with a Yamaha receiver and it is a very nice system. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, H/K all make nice receivers. You can't go wrong.

You didn't mention a dvd player. Panasonic 56 or 82 is affordable and get good reviews.

I agree with Chris about having a good sub, fronts and center.

6. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I would go with

JBL S center $130
    FOUR JBL S26 $340
    SVS 25-31PCi $550
    TOTAL $1020

You could search for an AVR520 it is selling around $520 in onecall or in etronics.com

A little over your budget, but with really good speakers, and great sub and receiver.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

My suggestion
    3 pairs of JBL S36AWs ($170/pair )
    JBL S Center ($130)
    SVS 20-39 PCi ($600)
    Pioneer 811S Receiver ($300)
    Total ($1540)
    The S36AWs are available for a steal of a price at a couple of online vendors through yahoo shopping. At $170 a pair, they're smoother than the S26s, and very similar to the S38s. They're also a better match for the S Center. You could save some money by dropping the S Center and sticking with a perfectly matched 6.1 system. Only problem is, you have to like white [​IMG]
    Hope this helps.

8. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I ,for one , would like to know A HELUVA LOT MORE about his room, listening habits, the listening habits of others using the system, the relative comfort level with more "difficult " equipment , volume levels enjoyed, other equipment he has, other equipment he wants later, placement needs for equipment....I can go on.....Knee-jerk suggestions don't do anyone any good ,it's more helpful to choose equipment that may suit his needs rather than equipment (substitute "manhood") that you like or bought (frankly I hope he doesn't have the same "manhood" as me, it couldn't possibly make me love my "manhood" any more!!!) ....I don't need to reinforce my decisions, I listened to the equipment, I know what I like..... [​IMG] , O.K. ,just havin' a little fun........

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If you don't need progressive scan capabilities, what does the Panasonic 56 and 82 offer over the DVD-RV32? I was over at my local Circuit City yesterday where they had 3 "open box" DVD-RV32 players for $89.00 each. I pointed out that the new players were only $99.00 after a $20.00 mail-in rebate and the salesperson quickly dropped the price to $69.00. Not a bad deal on a good player.

10. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

How about the forthcoming ELT 5.1 speaker system from AV123 (~$900) and a Marantz 5300 ($600). All indications from the Rocket and Diva speakers bode very well for the ELT. It will also be the only system in the price range with a 3-way center.

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The JBL S Center is also a 3-way design.