1500-2000w amp for sub...under $300 possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andrew S-, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

subject says it all

i need an amp for my sub that does 1500-2000w into either 2ohms or 8ohms. if possible i would like to spend under $300. i dont mind buying used of ebay either.

any suggestions?

2. AndrewRose

AndrewRose Auditioning

no idea.

but look on ebay under amps and maybe youll find something

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    2kW into 2ohms is possible. 2kW into 8ohms would be a bit more difficult for $300 (that would probably yield 6+kW into a 2ohm load). You might be able to find a B-stock or used Crown CE-2000 for around $300 (before shipping).

4. Andrew S-

Im finding that most of the amps I have seen have all ben stereo amps that were bridgable but I dont like the idea of running bridged at 2ohms.

I have decided against such a powerful amp for now. I dont want to spend the $ upgrading the breaker and possibly wiring since its not my house. I will probably just go with 1000w or less. I am just worried about the sub I have being efficient enough with that little power and I dont feel like building too large of a box.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

There's probably no need to upgrade your breakers. Possible sources would be pro amps such as those from Carver, QSC, Carvin, etc. Ebay or a visit to your local guitar shop (Guitar Center) should have a ready supply of used amps. It would be extremely rare to find an amp that can be bridged and then power a 2 ohm load.

6. John S

John S Producer

The reason most pro amps don't reach the 2 ohm bridged mark is that when actually doing that, it draws more than UL would ever allow from the basic 110v wall outlet.

I have a pro amp that does this, and in transients, man, I sware it can peg 6K to 7K watts or even more from the AC source. I used to have to wire it all the way back to the breaker box when doing large shows, but man would it kick some serious base bins configured that way. I think it is a Urie amp, or something like that.

Hard to imagine the need for that much power in a HT environment. You should run mutliple subs cantaining their own amps probably, or multiple amps and subs if they are separate.

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

8. Andrew S-

I am not looking to run 2ohms bridged. Just saying I dont like the idea of doing that because I what it can do to the amp. Not matter how well the amp is built I wouldn't do it.

The sub is a dual 4ohm sub. The problem with using each channel per VC is that its still only at 4ohms per vc. Would be the same power as briding and then running at 8ohms.

The driver is an Elemental Designs 15SP. Originally built for car use but would work excellent in HT. The low end on this is sick for in car use. It begs to be in a HT with a low tuned or IB enclosure. Efficiency is its only downside. I think I will just leave it in my car for now until I can get a house of my own. Will probably end up with a tempest on 400w since my SP should do nicely in the same box tuned just a bit lower.

9. Andrew S-

Dual 4ohm. I think the RMS on it is 2200w.

QES: .402
    QMS: 5.030
    QTS: .372
    Fs: 20.70hz
    Vas 158.50L
    BL: 29.2
    Xmax: 29mm one way
    Re: 3.8
    Sd: 177.47 in^2

In 4.25 cubes tuned to 21.75 it will play flat with an F3 of 22hz. Not the lowest of HT drivers but not too shabby for a car sub.