150 mile MS charity bike ride - tax deductible donations please!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Kurland, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

Dear Home theater forum member,
    On June 22nd and 23rd , I will be biking 150 miles from Boston to Provincetown to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. My goal is to raise $2000, 85% of which will go directly to research or to fund local chapter programs. I would greatly appreciate your help in reaching my goal, by a pledge to this worthwhile organization.
    As a neurologist, I’ve seen firsthand, the young, vital people that are affected by this potentially disabling disease. I’ve been encouraged that over the past few years, effective treatments have been developed to reduce disease progression. Also, many research centers continue to try to find the cause and a cure for MS.
    You may contribute either per mile or straight donation. Your contribution is completely tax deductible. The easiest way to contribute is by credit card
    “on-line” from a secure site:
    www.nationalmssociety.org/pledge/index.asp
    (Participant “Alan Kurland” , Event “MS 150 Bike Tour®”, State “MA”)
    or by a check payable to “National MS Society” mailed to my office:
    Alan Kurland, MD
    825 Washington Street, Suite 200
    Norwood, MA 02062
    Thank you for your help and support. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions (781-762-0321).
    For more information about MS visit www.nationalmssociety.org
    Sincerely,
    Alan
    www.nationalmssociety.org/pledge/index.asp

2. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

My wife has MS. Thank you for doing this. My check is in the mail. We (a group of about ten including, me, my wife, our daughter, my father in law, my mom, my brother and some friends) just raised over $17,000 for the MS Walk in Charlotte a few months back. We have been the top fund raising "family and friends" group in Charlotte for several years now but $17k was a dream come true. We had maxed out the last couple of years at $14k to $15k.

Thanks again and good luck with the ride,
    Chad

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Good luck to ya, I've done a couple of MS 150s before. They usually run a ride to Lehigh, PA and back and also a Coast to Coast one, and also one that goes to the old Playboy mansion in Vernon... (bunnies not included).
    Jay
    I never got a sticky for my AIDS ride.... [​IMG]

4. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Alan:
    Good luck with the ride. It will be a fun adventure. I myself have did 2 MS rides that were organized here in NY 3-4 years ago. They were 1 day 100 mile rides though.
    I must say though that I was very dissapointed in the organization of the events and I never knew where the money that I raised ($300 and $500 for the 2 different rides) went. Not once have I got anything in the mail from them, before or after the ride, any invitation to join subsequent years or anything to let me know about the progress in research, etc. Basically, I felt that they took the money and ran [​IMG]
    Having worked with Veterans with MS and Spinal Cord Injury at the time, I was very dissapointed with the NY Chapter of the MS Society.
    Their very poor communication and organization has something to do with the fact that in the last 4 years the number of people that have done the ride has decreased from 5000 -6000 per year to a few hundred.
    Have fun on the ride and enjoy .. but I would do some looking into on where the money is going.

5. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so far.

Aurel, sorry your experience was disappointing. The Mass chapter is extremely well organized, and I've met and spoken to others who have ridden in the past and said the coordination was excellent.

I've checked into the distribution of funds, and the society does state that about 85% goes back into funding, a very low amount for overhead. In my experience, the MS Society has been a very good organization.

I'm off for my bike training....

6. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

We also have had very dissappointing experiences with the MS Chapter in NC.

They can not seem to get our "team" all under Jenna's name. It also takes them a while to get all of the funds we turn in properly accounted for. This year, in fact, they scared Jenna to death by sending a "thank you for your $150 contribution" when we turned in over $13k the day of the walk.

However, I agree that the money gets to the right places and that little is wasted on overhead. Also, I have found the walks to be very well organized.