What's new

$150 (at B&M) DVD player for parents (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I am looking for a $150 DVD player that can be had for that price at a B&M like Best Buy, Circuit City, or Nebraska Furniture Mart (locals will know what they have). This does not need to be the best DVD player in terms of picture or technology, but it does need to be reliable with a good remote. My parents do have an S-video input on the TV, but will not be using even a stereo reciever (just the TV for sound). What should I be looking for?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Charles, I think it's tough to find a solid DVD player for $150. If you can still find the Pioneer DV-343 in your area, it may be your best bet. It was discontinued a few months ago. I've seen the '343 as low as $160 at brick and mortar stores and from J&R Music World by mail. Best Buy stores now are carrying the DV-341, which seems to have replaced the '343. I say 'seems' because the '341 appears to be a lesser player, so I don't know if it is considered a true replacement for the '343. Build quality of the '341 is mediocre at best, and it has no coaxial digital output (optical only). The '343 has both types of digital outputs. I know your parents won't use a digital output, but I'd avoid the '341 based on what I've seen.

Pioneer also released the DV-440 recently, which now sells for around $160-180. It's very slim at 2.25" tall and plays MP3-encoded CDs. It also sports a 24/192 Burr-Brown DAC. None of this may matter to your parents (except the small footprint, possibly), but the point is that the '440 is well-appointed and looks to be a solid player.

Others here are likely to suggest Panasonic and Toshiba players, if any are available for around $150. Those companies make solid players in addition to Pioneer, but I am less familiar with their budget offerings. I believe Panasonic's cheapest player these days is the DVD-RV31, but I'm not sure if you can get it for $150.

Best of luck in your search.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am helping a friend buy her husband a DVD player and her budget is in the same league as the original poster. I found at Best Buy a Toshiba that was going for $149! I have a Toshiba that I bought a few years ago and it has been a great, solid system. I am thinking of making this my recommendation to her. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Phil

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, I was at best buy tonight, and they had a few sub $160 offerings. Two Samsung models, a Toshiba, and the Pioneer 341 model. I guess I will have to see if I get some favorable replies about the low end Samsungs and Toshibas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks