15 x 2 = 30? Roofing Felt for Riser Construction...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay Mitchosky, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Started assembling materials to begin building my riser. All courtesy of Home Deport. The articles and threads I've read re: riser and stage construction suggest 30lb roofing felt. HD only had 15lb. How important is the 30lb rating? Will 15lb suffice? If need be could I simply double up on the 15lb?

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving this up as no response over the weekend.

3. John Prator

John Prator Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    Since no one has answered yet I thought I would just offer my opinion(and you know what they say about those!!). I really don't think it will make a noticable difference, by the time you have that baby assembled it will be so solid that 15# or 30# shouldn't make a difference. I would just use the 15# and enjoy![​IMG]
    Sincerely,
    John

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I'm with John on that.... although I don't know the reason behind using any felt paper... since it is usually used as a moisture barrier....... the 15# should be fine... but if you are a strickler for details, another layer of 15# (laid perpendicular) will be fine also....another option is when you apply the 15#, simply overlay by half and you achieve the same thing...... Let us know how your riser turns out!