What's new

$15 subwoofer drivers!!! ($18 shipping) (1 Viewer)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned these resale Bazooka subs on ReturnBuy.
http://buy.returnbuy.com/store/contr...product_id=739
When I first saw them they were $10 with free shipping. A friend ordered 2 and I ordered one just to find out if they were decent. Since then they have raised the price to $15 and no more free shipping. Here's the specs from Bazooka:
CSW1204
Power Handling: 150 Watts
Power Handling with Liquid Cooling: 225 Watts
Impedance: 4 ohms
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Frequency Response: 16Hz-1500Hz
Recommended Power: 100 Watts
Voice Coil Size: 1.5 inch
Magnet Weight: 30 Ounces
Fs: 30
Qts: .44
Qms: 4.19
Qes: .49
Vas: 2.78 (Cu ft?)
Xmax: .75 (in?)
Re: 3.6
Le: 2.2
Yes, the liquid cooling is cheesy and stupid expensive to implement - just buy a better woofer instead. No dimensions were listed for Vas and Xmax but my educated guesses are in parenthesis. Not a lot of power handling and the Fs is a little high but nothing is really unmanageable. You could do a 2.6 - 3.5 cu ft box tuned to 26 - 28Hz and get very impressive output with 150 watts.
My favorite feature listed on the box:
"Supa-fly yellow magnet bumper"
Thus the woofer has been christened "The Supa-fly".
It feels very light compared to my DVC 12 with its 112oz magnet. Small scratches on some of the mounting holes indicate it had been mounted. There was a problem with the tinsel leads that I'll discuss later. I had a 1.3L sealed and stuffed box that my DVC was in before I built a sonotube. So I plopped the Bazooka in. Mounting hole pattern on the Supa-fly has a tiny bit smaller diameter so I sealed the old box holes and drilled new ones. The cutout diameter is again just a hair smaller diameter but the cutout I had from the DVC worked fine.
It actually sounds pretty good. A fair amount of excursion. Not sure yet just how much. But I can easily believe the 0.75 in excursion. That's about 2/3 of the DVC's excursion. Not muddy at all, but I guess it's tough to sound muddy in a sealed box. It doesn't have the deep, deep extension of an SVS, but neither did the DVC in this box. In fact, the Supa-fly seems to actually go maybe a little deeper and is harder to localize than the DVC in the same box!
Now lets talk about that tinsel lead problem. When driving the woofer at decent excursion I heard a popping sound and thought it was either just at the point of bottoming or had some tinsel lead slap. So I backed off and listened closely. The popping was still there sometimes at moderate volumes. So I assumed tinsel lead slap like I had with the DVC. I pulled the woofer and played it free air but the leads weren't moving nearly enough to slap.
That's when I noticed that one of the leads had been resoldered at the terminal. Someone had obviously cut the lead shorter since it hardly had enough slack to allow for excursion. As I played with the leads I noticed the other lead had a flaky connection. I could bend it to a shape where the woofer just stopped playing. If I bent it back it played again. This was the source of the popping noise. As the woofer moved with some excursion the signal to the voice coil would break and then recover. The sudden recovery made the woofer pop. Sorta like when you switch some amps from off to on.
I soldered a parallel connection from the middle of the tinsel lead to the terminal. This solved the popping. Then I desoldered the other lead and added a small bit of speaker wire to allow enough slack for full excursion. Finally, I used some double-sided tape to attach 2 bits of foam to the back side of the woofer just under the lead connection. This was to prevent lead slap just in case it was an issue.
So far I've played it for a week or so since the rework and no more problems. Haven't specifically tested the excursion, but it seems very decent for the money. My friend looked at his tinsel leads and said they were fine. But we did notice that some of the product descriptions on ReturnBuy noted resoldered leads.
At $33 its a reasonable deal. Unfortunately the shipping cost isn't reduced if you order multiples - evidenced by the fact that they shipped each of our 3 woofers seperately even though they were in one order. If they run the free shipping again its a no-brainer for anyone handy with a soldering iron.
If you have questions, ask today or early tommorow - I'll be unavailable next week.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I saw those and contemplated making some subs for fun since it was so cheap but I just don't have the need or room for another sub.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Actually, if you click the "Xmax" link on the Bazooka website it says

"Xmax - Maximum peak linear excursion of driver, in meters"

Hah! Take that, Tumult! 750mm and somewhere around 480 cm^2 surface area ... that's 36 Liters of dispacement!

Supa-fly indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks