15-pin RGB connection....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Purfield, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Mike Purfield

Mike Purfield Auditioning

Hi there everyone,
    I'm a greenhorn when it comes to HDTV, and I was wondering if anyone might be able to answer this question:
    If an HDTV with a 15-pin RGB connector can display the output from a computer's VGA card, does this mean that a computer monitor can display the output from a HD reciever's 15-pin RGB connector? I haven't seen much discussion on this, so my gut tells me no. That would make things too convenient. :) If anyone can clarify this for me, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mike, welcome to the HTF. I have a 15 pin (output) on my HDTV set top box, and I can plug this into my PC's monitor (input).
    If the TV has a 15 pin input, then a HDTV set top box can be plugged into it.
    If this came out wrong, ask again, but yes. Both the PC monitor and an HDTV TV would accept the 15 pin cable from a set top box.
    Glenn

3. Mike Purfield

Mike Purfield Auditioning

Glenn, that's just the response I wanted to hear. Thanks! You've made my day! You see, being the poor college student that I am, I can't exactly afford a megabuck HDTV set. But I figured "Hey, my computer's monitor is nice enough, and some HD components use a 15-pin D-sub connector... Maybe it'll work..." So, how does the HD picture look on a PC monitor (other than the obvious "It's small." response)?

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

You could also get an HD card for your computer... certain ones will even let you record!

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I said that I had it, not that I had ever tried it out! [​IMG] Sorry! I'm sure that the picture would be great! Now, if they only would come out with widescreen monitors!
    Glenn