What's new

15 or 20 amp? I'm afraid to ask (1 Viewer)

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I wired a separate circuit for my HT equipment and TV. I only made it 15amp and ran 14/2 wire. I'm wondering now if that was a mistake. The day I was wiring, I ran out of 12/2 and figured since I would only have the TV, receiver, cable box, dvd player and sub on this circuit that 15 amps would be fine. It was all on a 15amp circuit in my old house. Now, I've replaced my receiver with an Outlaw 970/7125 combo and my sub with an SVS 2039 and I'm wondering if I'll have enough juice. The TV is a Mitsubishi 55" RPTV. Should I be worried? Replacing it is out of the question as the walls are up and I'm painting this weekend.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Since "replacing it is out of the question" you just need to live with it. If it trips the circuit then you will need to figure out what to do.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've been trying to add up how many amps my components will take. I'm not sure if this is right though...

Outlaw lists the max draw of the 7125 at 1440 watts. 1440/120 volts is 12 amps. SVS list 450 VA which I believe can be divided by 120 to get 3.75 amps. That would put me over right there but since I'm only useing 6 channels (6.1 system) and I don't anticipate running at MAX volume for ALL channels plus the sub, I think I'll have a few amps to spare. The TV will be around 1.75 amps and the processor, dvd, cable box, etc should be less than 1.5 amps.

I guess I'll just have to wait until it's done and see if I trip it. While running a new wire would be a MAJOR pain, it could be done. I may also be able to plug the sub into another circuit.

I was just hoping that everyone wouldn't say that without a doubt, you'll trip a 15 amp break comming out of standby or something.

eldonF

Auditioning
I have a dedicated home theater room and I was concerned about the same issue. I ran 15amp to the entire room with 10 separate plugs ( I currently only use 5 plugs) and I have not tripped it yet. This is what is plugged in:

Powered Kenwood Sub Woofer
Infocus X-l
Sony 7.1
DVD Player
rope lights

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
In my setup I have it like this:

Receiver, dvd player, p/j, pvr, & sub woofer on a 12/2 romex dedicated 20 amp run to a quad box feeding my power strip. Then lighting, ceiling fans on regular house 15amp service on 14/2 romex.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks