15" Dayton Quatro sub project:

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kenneth Harden, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Looking at 6-8 cu. ft. ported box and using the 15" Dayton Quatro woofer:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...60&ctab=1#Tabs

Yes, I could get a bigger, badder woofer, but then it would require a bigger, badder amp, and it would just get out of control.

WinISD shows that in the box I am looking at, I would be getting a solid 20 Hz. at -3 dB - and 15 Hz. at -10 dB. With 300 watts of input, over 110, almost 115 dB. of output.

I am considering making it passive, and getting a inexpensive pro amp (under $300) and trying it like that (use my receiver for the crossover) and getting a BFD if need be.

Am I missing anything? Looks like it would be a absolute monster. I think having a moderate 15" woofer in a large ported box would allow it to do its job easily and without a lot of distortion - as well as being efficent.

Any input would be appreciated!

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Here is my 15" Quatro Sub page. http://prosteering.8k.com/custom4.html
    I originally had the 15"ers in a 3.5cf box and like it but built this 5.5cf box to go lower and it did but so low it lost it's punch I was used to. So I shortened the port and got back most of my punch but still goes nice and low. I have listened to many store bought and DIY and prefer my Quatros.

Oh ya, I am using the Rythmic 350w amp running the two 4 ohm Quatro's in series (8 ohm's)so I’m looking at around 250 watt'ish I think. The amp runs nice and cool where as if I run at 2 ohm it has shut down before on thermal shut down to hot to touch.

Wes

3. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Yep, I have the same design as Wes, i actually used his design. I have my port length at around 11". I agree it doesnt have much punchy'ness to it but watching any sort of bassy movie (Incredibles, U571 etc..) and the entire house rattles.
    I've yet to post up pics of the final product however.
    I'd reccomend this design as well.

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Well, with a shorter vent, looks like you will get some SERIOUS gain in the 30-50 Hz. range, but lose a lot of the really low bass.

Sounds like a classic compromose to me!

Figure, with the tunable PE vent, I guess I could play with some different stuff.

Looks like it would be easy to introduce a huge spike around 30-35 Hz. (4-8 dB. spike), and I bet that would make the sub sound like a freaking monster - but falls flat before 25 Hz. With a 10, 11" port in a 5.5 cu. ft. box, a genuine 20 Hz. looks to be doable - which is impressive as heck for a $80 driver.

5. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Hmmm, with 300 watts what would you be tuning the sub to? You'll be exceeding excursion pretty early.