What's new

142L ported shiva for music? (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Andrew I think we might have got our wires crossed I’m not going to make a sonosub, I'm making a box out of 3/4" MDF. I'm mainly concerned that if I go ahead and paint the box the paint might get absorbed into the MDF. Also I would like to know if there are any different ways to cover a box besides veneer or paint?

Ryan

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Opps sorry Ryan! MDF will soak up paint like a sponge so make sure you use a godo quality primer and apply a few coats before applying the top coat. I don't remember how many I have on my equipment racks but its at least 2 coats of primer and 2 of the top coat.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Well, I've had my 142L Shiva for a few days and I do have some observations to make. BTW, I've named it JOB (Jerry's Obelisk of BOOM). ;)
1.) This sub is quite musical. Much better than I had thought possible for such a large ported sub, very tight and controlled bass. Even moreso surprising considering that it's corner loaded. All notes were clearly defined, from "Dyers Eve" by Metallica to "Mercy Street" by Peter Gabriel, it never even broke a sweat.
2.) It goes deep, very deep in my room. I'm hitting F3 at a little below 15Hz and F8 at 12.5Hz. Let's put it this way, the Pod Race in TPM blew me away (as well as the THX intro) and the pipes in The Haunting scared the crap out of me, I thought my house was going to shake apart. :eek: Pipe organ instrumentals are revealed in a way that I never imagined before. It's funny, the first time I sat down to listen to it after calibrating it (I watched "Depth Charged" from U-571) I thought I had the amp to my Bass Shakers on, I didn't. I'm still having problems getting the smile off my face. :D
Is it big? Yes, it's huge. You don't realize the size until you see the 24" cube (with 3 1/2" legs) sitting in your living room. Would I choose another route considering the money spent? Not a chance. It's just absolutely amazing, that's the best way I can describe it.
Now, I'm off to watch a little Fight Club before bed. hehe

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,

I have a few more questions before I make a final decision on a box design. I've been looking over the amount of material I’m going to need to build the 230L sealed cabinet. It looks like I’m going to need to buy two sheets of MDF to make it and one sheet will be only slightly used so I will have a bunch left over. I'm wondering if I have to buy the wood anyway if I should just build a bigger box like the tempest EBS alignment on adire website except make it sealed instead of ported? If I do this will there be any major increment in bass performance or is it not really worth all the trouble to make the bigger box? Thanks for all the help.

Ryan

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan - I'm going to use a grease monkey expression here:

There's no replacement for displacement!

That said. I have a 85l Shiva/PR and it's great. It makes the room shake. I built Jerry's 142l Shiva/ported EBS and he said he can hear his foundation shake. Same driver but he is using a larger amp.

I'd say if you have the room go for it.

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks