What's new

142L ported shiva for music? (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,
I was originally going to build an 88L sealed shiva because I listen to music more than I watch movies (music 70% movies 30%). But I'm worried that the 88L sealed shiva is not going to give me enough kick in the butt bass when I watch movies. So I'm wondering how the 142L ported box on Adire's website will sound with music? Size is not really a problem as long as the box can fit through my bedroom door :). My room is 10’x14’x8’ also the type of music I listen to is bands like Sting or U2, if that helps. If anyone who owns a 142L ported box could tell me how it sounds for music or if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated thanks.
Ryan

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Ryan, since you would mainly be using it for music, I would suggest you check out the 95L Shiva+PR design that's on Adire's website. From what I understand, there is not too much activity going on under 28-30 Hz in music, and this sub+PR combo peaks at around 35Hz. This would provide you plenty of kick.
Of all, I would choose the SBB4 for music, as these designs have the 35hz peaks.
But, what do I know. I still can't decide which Shiva+PR design I want build! :frowning:
Best of luck though! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan T

Second Unit
Well I thought about PR design and decided not to go with it mainly because of the extra money. If there is a really big difference performance wise that would justify the extra $90 I might reconsider it. Unfortunately I still do not fully understand the benefits of PR design so if anyone could explain why it would be better to us the PR instead of port it would be appreciated.

Ryan

GaryM

Agent
I use the 142.5l PR Shiva (EBS alighnment) for both music and home theater. I guess it depends on what music - I'm fond of E. Power Biggs on the pipe organ, and this cabinet design plus the Adire AVA250 plate amp are indeed perfect for such demanding musical material.

Gary

Ryan T

Second Unit
I've been looking into the PR designs and I have a few questions. First how hard is it to add weight to the PR? Second I'm still not sure about building a PR sub, this is my first real sub I’m building and I would like it if there were more room for errors. I've read several books on speaker building and they say that the easiest subs to build are sealed so I might just stick to that for my first sub what do you guys think?

Ryan

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
My 1st sub was a PR. The only hard part was getting the correct amount of weights to add to the PR.
The only differnce in building a PR over a sealed one is cutting another large hole and changing the bracing to work with the PR.
If you follow plans such as Adire's it's pretty straight forward. Although I changed mine from a bottom mounted Shiva to a side mounted one so the bracing was modified from the plans for that.
If you follow the links on my web page you can see the building process I used. I purchased all of my parts from Link Removed Kyle helped quite a bit in figuring out what I wanted. You can also see pictures of it on Adire's site if they still have the gallery up.
-Rob

Ryan T

Second Unit
I printed out the PR designs and I don't think I’m going to build one. I think I’m still going to go with 142.5L sealed or ported still have not decided. I guess the main reason I don't want to do the PR sub is because it costs more and is a little bit harder to build. I'm still curious how the 142.5L vented sounds with music. Does anyone have one of these subs and listen to music with it?

Ryan

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Ryan have you given any thought to build a sealed tempest based sub? For music I'd have to think this would be ideal and if I'm not mistaken its what Dan uses at home. I know the parts express version of the tempest and shiva were on sale a while back so you might be able to save a little there if its still on. if not order your driver though the link on HT talk and save %10.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I'm still curious how the 142.5L vented sounds with music. Does anyone have one of these subs and listen to music with it?
I will tomorrow. That's when the UPS guy will be pulling up into my driveway with the new 142.5l I ordered from Acoustic-Visions. I've already got all the software I'm going to use to test it with laid out:
Die Kunst Der Fugue (nice

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Jerry, one of my "tests" for a sub is Enter Sandman, when Lars enters. Some subs make that seem like a big jumble. Pretty good bass all over the "black album".

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Cool, I'll add it to "the pile". Yes, I have all their CDs. I guess I "outgrew" them for the most part, but it's still fun to dig them out every once in a while and piss off my wife. ;)
Now that I think of it, I'll make sure and listen very closely to "Dyers Eve" on AJfA. Some of the fastest bass drum I've ever heard... makes my present SA-WM40 produce a vague, unintelligible mess.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I guess I "outgrew" them for the most part, but it's still fun to dig them out every once in a while and piss off my wife.
Hehe, I hear ya'. Actually, I saw them with my wife a few times on tour in '92 for Metallica. Some of the best shows I've ever seen.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Andrew, I'm going to be getting a dealers account with adire audio so the tempest and shiva are both going to be about 10% or more off the regular price, thanks for the heads up though. About the Vented subs for music is there a real problem that vented subs have reproducing music? About a month ago I was at a speaker store and heard a Paradigm PS-2200 and it sounded really good with music. I guess my problem is that I have not heard a good quality sub in a sealed box for yet. That tempest sure looks good, the 230L sealed tempest should be able to almost match the output of the 142.5L vented shiva. I will have to look into the Tempest some more. JerryW I will be looking forward to hearing your report on the 142.5L shiva, I hope it sounds good. Thanks.

Ryan

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Ryan I've owned a 107L ported shiva and now have my big tempest tube and there's no comparison between them. I have an option to seal my port and convert it to sealed if I wanted which would give me a nice low Q but I've never felt I needed to to be honest. The tempest will give you a lot more air movement then the shiva so if you can swing it I'd highly recomend using the tempest over the shiva

Ryan T

Second Unit
I talked to my grandpa about the sub because he is going to help me build it. And I think I’m going to go with the 230L sealed tempest. I should be able to get insane amounts of bass in my tiny 10'x14' room :). Since I originally wanted to go sealed I think the 230L tempest will be better than the port 142.5L shiva. Another thing I would like to know is if you guys think the PE 250 watt sub amp will be enough for the tempest or do I need to get a bigger amp? Also if I do get the PE amp should I have them disable the 30hz boost or not?
Ryan

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think that's a great idea, Ryan, you and your grandpa should have a blast. :) Sealed is much easier, and you don't have to be nearly as exact. In that room, I'll bet a sealed Tempest gets down to 20Hz or so, and 250 watts should be fine. If I'm not mistaken, that amp is shipping without any boost, but check with PE. In any event, yes, you'd want the boost disabled.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you're going with the tempest...one thing though is that you might want to consider adding a single 6" port and build it as a ported sub tuned to 18hz or so. Now the sweet thing about this large a box is that you can now simply plug the port and it turns into a great sealed sub for music and if you ever want more slam for HT just remove the plug. Just a thought

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Good idea andrew, that's what I'll rpobably do with the 142L Shiva that I'm getting. Plugging the port doesn't change my range too much (I's still get an F3 around 22-23Hz). But it may make more responsive with music. I suppose a foam plug wouldn't be that tough to cut out.

Think that's a good idea?

Ryan T

Second Unit
I've though about porting the sub but I still think I’m going to make the box sealed. I can always add a port latter if the bass is not as much as I want also it will eliminate the possibility of an air leak form the port plug. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to cover the sub in something black or paint it any suggestions? I would like it to be high gloss black paint if that’s possible. One other question I have is about the driver alignment, It seems that all of the box examples on Adire's web site are down firing is there any benefits to this design? Personally I would like to be able to see the driver so I might just mount it on the side instead of the bottom.

Ryan

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I don't recomend painting sonotube if you want a nice looking finish. Cloth socks look so much nicer over the cardboard then just paint. You may still need to paint the cardboard black so it doesn't show though the sock but I wouldn't rely on paint alone. For the end caps getting a high gloss finish is possible but it takes A LOT of work to get it right. there was a long thread not that long ago about how to do it properly if you want to read up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks