What's new

1408 DVD due for release Oct 2nd:the next DVD to have Unrated WS & Rated P&S versions (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
This is happening a lot now but they're usually PG-13 rated films so does that mean the extra content on the Unrated version would be suitable for an R rating or would have to be NC-17 if shown in cinemas?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
This movie was intentionally shot for a PG-13 (just read some of the comments from Cusack about the dialog) so I'd doubt the Unrated version would be really violent.

I just wish ANY version of the film had a better ending than the one that appeared in theaters. It was so good for the first hour and then completely, totally fell apart. When I went to see it, you could hear people walking out, all agreeing how terrible the ending was. :frowning:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A lot of the time, an unrated version is unrated because the studio didn't want to resubmit the video version to the MPAA for re-rating. A good example is the unrated Underworld.

Then you have situations like The Wild Bunch which, when the Director's Cut was resubmitted to the MPAA for re-rating, was slapped with an NC-17. Fortunately for Warner, the Director's Cut had previously been rated R in 1969, so they were able to successfully appeal and get an R.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I liked the ending. The weaker part was the re-integration of the surf scene.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So I bought the 2-Disc set today. Disc one has the theatrical cut and Disc 2 the Director's Cut. I have not seen this, which version should I see for the first time?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, unrated is just a marketing tool, not an MPAA thing.

It only means that footage has been added into the film, and wasn't resubmitted to the MPAA. It could be a G rated film, and additions that would only warrant a G rating, but it would still have to be called unrated.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm a little confused about the specs I've seen for the various releases of 1408. It's my understanding that the two-disc version contains both the theatrical cut and the unrated cut in widescreen. Is this correct? I'm not interested in a pan & scan version of the film, but I am interested in owning both cuts. Does the two-disc version fulfill this requirement?

Thanks.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'd watch the Director's Cut first.

The last 20 minutes of the Theatrical Cut are absolutely horrid and basically ruin the entire movie.

Hopefully the ending of the DC is better -- it could only be an improvement.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
You mention in your earlier post that the 2-disc version contains both cuts of the film, but say nothing about the aspect ratio. Are both versions presented in widescreen?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes. Honestly can you imagine a collector's set with the Theatrical Cut in one aspect ratio and the Director's Cut in another? ;)

So I watched both versions tonight. First the Director's Cut and then the end of the Theatrical Cut. The film was average for me and both cuts have their problems.

I didn't find the Director's Cut that much better, on the contrary I think the Theatrical Cut feels more satisfying. I guess they thought if he dies it will be deep and should be the Director's Cut! :D But seriously The DC just doesn't feel like he needed to sacrifice himself or if he has achieved anything. In the TC you could say he goes through a journey and changes.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Actually, I have a DVD like this: Force 10 From Navarone contains the North American cut in a P/S transfer and the European cut in widescreen.

On the flip side, let's not forget the Criterion Bazil, which has the director's cut in widescreen and the "Love Conquers All" version in P/S.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Don't forget Disney's DVD release of The Muppet Christmas Carol, which includes the original theatrical version in widescreen, and the director's cut in full-screen.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks for the info, guys. It's the 2-disc version for me!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

True, but there never was a widescreen version of the "Love Conquers All" version, AFAIK. It was only ever released for television showings. I mean, I'm sure there was a version that was created during the initial editing, but I doubt that there were ever any real prints made of it.

Nevermind. I'm such a nerd. I sound like Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks