$1400 to replace Yamaha 2095 - what to do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I recently had my Yamaha RX-V2095 taken out by lightning, and my homeowners insurance has identified the Yamaha RX-V3200 as the replacement unit. I can either have them send me a unit directly, or take $1400 as replacement value. I need to figure out what to do pretty quickly.

My current equipment is:

-Paradigm Reference Studio 80s
    -Paradigm Reference CC
    -Paradigm Reference ADP (soon)
    -SVS 20-39CS+ w/Samson S700
    -Sony SAT T-60 DirecTiVo
    -Panasonic A110 DVD
    -Panasonic Tau 36HX41

Usage is probably 75%/25% HT/music. Seeing as my mains have good extension, It'd be nice to have a unit that would allow a lower crossover frequency (not absolutely necessary). I also need 2-zone functionality. I'd like to be able to do 7.1 as well (on-board would be nice, but needing a 2ch amp is okay, too).

Some units I'm considering (always open to others):
    -Denon 3802 + 3ch amp
    -Marantz SR8200
    -HK 520 + 3ch amp
    -Yamaha RX-V3200 (from insurance)

I'm open to suggestions. I'm considering possibly going with a receiver + 3ch amp, or a higher-end receiver. What do you guys think I should do?

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Jason,

to bad about the lightening. One question, do you have any funds to add to the $1400. If so, you might want to consider the outlaw 950 preamp, and they are introducing a low cost 7 channel amplifier. I would expect the combo to go for about $2K. Or you could get the Rotel RSP 1066 and an amp (Rotel 1075 - 5 channels) for about $2.5k (or get a used amp.

Hope this helps.

3. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

someone had a link for the HK 520 @ onecall for $577 shipped. I'd jump on that and use the rest on an amp. JMHO of course.

4. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

george,
    Unfortunately, I really can't add much to the $1400 (maybe $100). I'm currently finishing my basement (with a theater/media room), as well as saving for the Studio ADPs. I'd love to go with the rotel combo, but I just can't swing the $$. [​IMG]
    Jason,
    Any reason you suggest the HK? Do you know if I would be able to re-route the onboard amps on the HK to power a 6th and 7th speaker (with the outboard amp powering the front 3)?

5. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Pioneer Elite 45tx...read about it in another post on the forum.

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Jason, what if you stretch your budget by say $200 or so. Get the HK 520 for about $650 and maybe you can find a nice used 5 channel amp for about $950 [​IMG]
    Also remember that the HK for some stupid reason will not do DD-EX. Another way would be to go for a 2802 as a pre/pro and get the amp for about $1K [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Jason - I do not have an HK 520, but am seriously contemplating it. From my research, it appears the 5 channel amp is "steerable", so if you add a 3 channel amp, the internals can be dedicated to the remaining channels.

Good luck, there are some great deals that make comparisons very difficult.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Take a good look at the Rotel 1055 receiver. Its basically a 1066 pre amp with a 5 channel amp on board and is priced less then the 1066 is. Later on if you feel the need for more power add a power amp when funds become available. I've owned both the 1066 and the 1055 and can't speak highly enough of them.

9. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Another vote for the Pioneer 45TX (I got mine for $910 shipped). That leaves you plenty for amps or BEER!!!

Greg

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I would take the 3200, it's a fine piece of gear. Near top of the line.

11. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    The 3200 is a nice receiver. If you were happy with your previous Yamaha, it's worth checking out.

I have an RX-V2200 and if I had to upgrade the only thing I'd consider is another Yammie or a Rotel.

- Mike

12. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

I think Andrew makes a nice suggestion, buy the Rotel 1055 and an amp later if you want it. You may have to add a little money though, but it is what I would do in your shoes...

13. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    I recently repalced my Yamaha 2095 with the 3200. Since Yamaha is rolling over the product line, I was able to get the 3200 for about 1350 plus tax. I also replaced my Mirage Frx HT speakers with the PSB Image series. I am running a 9C up front and an 8C in the center rear. The combo of the 3200 and the PSB Image speakers is very nice. The center dialog is very distinctive. The 3200 is driving the Image 5Ts in the front and barely gets warm after a two hour movie. The new dB scale for the sound level is nice when setting the volume to the Dolby reference level for a movie. I have owned Yamaha products for over 10 years and have yet to have one go South on me.
    Regards,
    TCIII

14. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd look at the 45TX, or even the 43TX if you don't want the Automatic MCACC feature. You can get the 43TX as low as $750 online. This would leave room for a 3ch amp (even though i think the amps in the 43TX would definatly suffice... they sounded better than the 3802 to me... next time i'm at hi fi buys i'm gonna compare to the 4802).

15. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

If you are interested in Pioneer products, you should check out www.soundpros.com. They have great prices and are very good to work with. In fact, you can get the 47tx for 1795.00.
    That's only 300.00 more and you can always add an amp and thoough it might not be up to Rotel standards as far as sound, it will be dang close and you can add an amp and it has a ton more features.
    Just my two cents. Sorry!

16. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm trying to digest them... [​IMG]
    What would you guys say if I could throw an HK AVR8000 into the mix? I think I might be able to snag one in my budget. How would you compare this unit to the others recommended?

17. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

RXV3300 ...I played with one the other day...REAAAAAAAL NICE $1,500...........FRONT EFFECTS BACK IN AGAIN, LOTSO' DISCRETE ir CODES, FRONT EFFECTS CAN DRIVE ZONE 2 WHILE STILL PROVIDING 6.1......RS232 (SET ALL THE PRESETS AND PARAMETER ADJUSTMENTS WITH COMPUTER!).........ALL THE KILLER DSP'S THAT CAN BE OVER-LAYED ONTO DD/DTS ....

18. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

You know I just recieved in the mail the other day that Tweeter is closing out the Yam V1. It was down around $1600 or even less. I was amazed. I would check it out.

Too bad about the 2095. That is a great reciever, I know I have one. Last of the big amps at the cheap price.

Bob

19. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Thank you all for your input. I actually just finalized a deal for an HK AVR8000 for $999 (refurb, full 2year warranty from HK). I was a little iffy on the refurb situation, but with a full warranty, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Can't wait to try out this beast!

I'm left with $400 or so to work with, so I might still look for an outboard 2ch or 3ch amp to drive the fronts, allowing me to go the full 7.1 setup (when I can afford the speakers, hehe)...

20. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Jason,

where did you get the avr8000 for 999.00 ? ebay seems to be higher then that even for the refurbs.