140 or 220 WPC...last question I promise!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_T_, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I've decided to go with the Parasound HCA-1205A 140WPC amplifier to drive my speakers. I've heard a million times that with the Studio 100's you need 200+ WPC, however lately I've come to the conclusion that the difference between 140 wcp and 220 wpc won't be worth the additional $800 I'd have to spend. Sure at insanely high levels during movies and some 2 channel music the sound might be a bit cleaner etc. but is that enough?

If you have any STRONG opinions to the contrary, please let me know. Unfortunately I have no Parasound dealers around here so I can't test both of them in house without paying shipping and restocking chargers.

So I guess the main question is, will the extra 80 wpc be such a massive difference that spending the extra $800 will be a no brainer??

If you're curious, my center channel is a Studio CC, I have a PS-1000 sub, and Eosone tower's for surrounds. I'm driving it all now with a Yammy RX-V795 85 wpc Receiver (for now, I'll use as a pre-amp with the new Amp)

Thanks!

2. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

I am in the exact same situation, except my main speakers are Paradigm Monitor 9's. I would love the 220 watt amp, but would it be worth the $800 difference? I am very interested in hearing support for, or arguments against Mike's decision.

Mike_T_.......Where are you planning to buy your amp? Audio Advisor?

3. Mike_T_

So far I've seen the 1205A listed for $975 on SuperAudioVideo.com. They seem to have the best prices...the 2205 is listed for just over $1600..which seems very cheap for an amp of this caliber.

4. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Well guys I can honestly say that the studio 100 really do need 200 watts to achieve their full potential otherwise you should consider the 60s. Seriously I have the studio 100s along with the whole lineup I use pioneer elite 49tx 130x7 It sounded good but when I plugged in my parasound hca 2205 WOW!!!!..... a major difference not just loud but they oppened up full rich what can I say if your gonna get these speakers give them what they need its like buyin a ferrari and drivin around town 30 miles a hour get my drift[​IMG] by the way that 49tx is an incredible piece of electonic equiptment that competes with pre pros thousands more amazing!!!! anyways good luck Ill be enjoying my new system............ see ya Bob

5. Mike_T_

That certainly temps me. However I would still wonder what it would be like if you compared the two parasounds instead of comparing the 49tx's 130 wpc to the 220 wpc Parasound. I think the 1205A would still be a dramatic improvement in power then the 49tx. I could certainly be wrong, but I've just heard that a well built amp can have a concervative power rating and receivers push the limits a bit. Anyway, i'm actually trying to save money which in this hobby, is just a fruitless concept. I wish I could hear your setup Bob!!

6. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I have to agree with Bob. I had the Reference set-up, Studio 100's/CC/ADP/Active 20's/Servo 15a.I ran them with a Yamaha DSP-A1/RX-V1/Citation 7.1/Carver 705a.The only time that they really came into their own was when I bought the Parasound 2003a for the Front 3 channels.Top end was crisp, not bright the mids opened up and bloomed and the bass without the Servo 15 was much larger and well controlled.The Parasound 220 watts took hold of the system and did its magic.Since I have added a 2205a.Sorry to say I sold the Paradigm system and upgraded to a 7.1 Von Schweikert Audio system.It took about a year of auditioning speakers to replace the Paradigms without spending 3 times what I spent for the digms.They are truly a great sounding speaker when driven by quality amplification! The 100's do sound better when being driven by 180 watts or more.
    Steve M.[​IMG]

7. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

You should save your $800 and happily buy the 1205A. That's a lot of money for a barely audible difference. I have the 855A and used it with the Yammie 795 as the pre-amp. The sound was much better and had an efforless quality to it. I'm sure the extra power of the 120A will make your speakers sing. If I was you, I would stop wasting time wondering and plunk the credit card down so I can start listening to the new systemr right away.

-Vic

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Mike,

Get the 1205. Then try biamping with four channels; if you hear an improvement, pickup a used 1000A or 750A for $200-300 to drive your rears.

9. MikeHalder

MikeHalder Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

I just picked up a 1250A and I am very happy with the results. There was an improvement in sound quality over my reciever, which is 120W/ch (Sony STR-DA777ES).I don't know about driving Studios, but there is plenty of headroom in my system now using this amp with my Klipsch KLF-30's, which are very efficient(102dB). You might want to check out Ubid for the 1205A, I bought mine last week for $799 new factory sealed(not B stock).Best of luck,

Mike

10. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

I can't help but ask the same question but with different paradigm studio speakers.

I currently have Paradigm reference studio 40's as fronts, 20's as rears, and the CC. I'm running them small crossed over at 80Hz to an ACI Titan II LE sub.

My Denon 3801 isn't exactly pleasing me for music applications and i'm looking at adding either the 1205a or the 2205a from Parasound.

For the 100's I would give a definate look at the 2205a but for the smaller Paradigms would you guys agree that the 1205a would be plenty of power?

Thanks

11. Mike_T_

See, that's the whole key to this decision is comparing the 1205A to the 2205A. If I had both of them in my house I'm wondering if the audible difference I would hear would be worth $800. Would it be THAT dramatic? I hear a lot of people telling me how great the Studio's sound with the 2205A, but no one has heard them with the 1205A. I'm sure I'd notice a difference between the two, but again..would it be enough that I'd have no choice but to spend the extra money. Or, would I simply say, yeah it's nice, but no WAY worth the extra $800. I think that question is a tough one to answer. I was thinking last night that if I got the 1205A, I could always go back down the line and get the 2 channel 200W Parasound for the mains. The total price would be a few hundred more then the 2205A, but I'd have power for 7 channels instead of just 5. Most likely this makes the most sense....

12. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Did you consider the Sherbourn 5/1500a? Mono block design, 200 wpc 8ohm, 300 wpc 4ohm, can be had for around $1300.....

13. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Edward I think if your considering the studio 60s the 1205 should be plenty of power its a nice amp I listened to that one too as well as the 2205. the studio 100s are capable of handling 350 watts[​IMG] thats a lot of power these babies are built to be pounded you should see the base drivers pounding in and out man its beautiful and the cabinet is rock solid nothing moves on top of it thats quality. I may even get the parasound 350x2 for the mains... giddy up[​IMG] seriously these are fantastic speakers I think youd be selling yourself short if you dont use the 2205. just my two cents[​IMG] if anyone close to me wants to hear my system I would be glad to blast you out of the room...hehehe[​IMG]
    see ya Bob

14. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

Are you using a subwoofer? If you are running the 100s set to small, and a sub (which I recommend), then the power rating of the amp is less of an issue. Low bass sucks up the power, so relieving the 100s of the last octave or 2 should help.

I have run a Carver 806 (6 x 133) many times with lots of diffetent speakers (Paradigm Studio 100s, Revel Studios and M20s, Martin Logan CLS, Snell Type A, ...) and particularly if the mains were High Passed, never ran out of power.

Cheers,

Chris

15. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

so the consensus is that if you have the 100's, then go for the 2205, but if you have the 60/40's a 1205 will suffice?

16. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

Since the 2205a and 1205a are discontinued to make way got Parasounds "better" and more expensive line where are you guys buying these 2205's and 1205's?

17. Mike_T_

Yeah the concensus seems to be that I'll be spending another big chunk of change for this obsession! I talked to my dealer as well, and he indicated that many times he sees the higher wattage Amplifiers simply put together with better material then lower wattage amps and that can open the sound up.

I do have a PS-1000 sub, but it's terrible for music, great for home theater. It's too sluggish and boomy to really enjoy music. That's why I'm hoping to increase my watts and play the 100's solo.

That Sherbourn sounds great.. The only reason I narrowed down my choice to Parasound is that Paradigm owners around here seem to think it's a perfect match for sound. I'll look into the Sherbourn..thanks!

18. Mike_T_

I see the Parasounds mentioned above listed on many websites all available.

I did take a look at that Sherbourn..it looks great! I wonder how it mates with the Studio's..

19. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

If you're gonna buy it from a local dealer, and they allow a few days home trial (which they should), why not buy both Parasounds, and return the one you don't want in a few days?

It might be worth the few extra bucks to go to your local shop to make sure you are happy in the end. Otherwise, you may always wonder if you did the right thing - peace of mind is worth a few $$$.

Cheers,

Chris

20. Mike_T_

I'd love to Chris but in Cedar Rapids IA, my choices are very limited. The place I purchased my Paradigms is the best around here and they don't carry Parasound. There are a few small high end places but they carry Adcom, Krell, Sunfire, Denon, B&K etc.