14 Gauge Wire at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JedW, Jul 18, 2003.

1. JedW

JedW Agent

I was at Home Depot looking for speaker wire and the only stuff they had was wrapped in clear plastic and I didn't think that was in wall rated. I did find some in-wall rated 14/2 "home security" wire. The wire is stranded and since my surround runs will only be 30 - 40 ft tops I figured that 14 gauge would be enough, but I wanted 12. Are any of you familiar with this type of wire? Will it work? Any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I got my in-wall rated wire at Home Depot. Did you look yourself or did you ask what they had. I'm pretty sure they will have it just ask some one to help you and they measure and cut it for you. I use 14ga also for my rears.

3. JedW

JedW Agent

Anbody else have any comments?

4. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Jed,

14/2 should be fine for your surrounds, and provided it's labeled for in-wall use (CL2/CL3) then you're covered there as well.

In the end it's copper wire...whether they call it speaker wire or home security wire doesn't change the physical properties.

5. Kal

Kal Agent

I used the Home Depot 12/2 in-wall rated (CL2) stuff for my HT. I even doubled it up (biwired) it for all front speakers to get to down to around 8 or 9 gauge.

If I remember correctly the 12/2 in-wall stuff is green, the 14/2 stuff is blue, and the 16/2 stuff was yellow.

The clear speaker wire you were looking at is definitely not meant for in-wall use. As the attendant next time you're at Home Depot. The 12/2 stuff was available by the foot (around 20-25 cents/foot), or you could buy a huge roll (500'?) of it for around $150USD.

Kal

6. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

7. Kal

Kal Agent

Yes, of course chip! The colour of the outer wrap doesn't mean anything... I've just never seen any manufacturer make CL2 and CL3 rated speaker wire that's clear like the stuff that's often sold for 'regular' use.

Like Chip said - make sure it has the words "CL2" or "CL3" written on it.

Kal