What's new

1394 or SVideo how much loss - thinking of the DMR-E85 (1 Viewer)

Derek N

Agent
Ok guys, I think I have narrowed my dvd recorder choice down to the Pani DMR-E85H. The Sony GX-7 was also in the running and overall I think it is actually built better but the HD issue just doesn't seem to go away.

I just don't think a recorder without a HD is a good choice for me. The convenience of it just makes too much sense.

Having said all that, one thing I would like to do with it is transfer my Digital8 movies to a dvd. The Pani does not have a 1394 connection and is causing me pause. I know the DMR-E100 has it but I don't want to spring for it, besides the DMR-E85 seems to add many of its features in a new model.

What quality loss are we talking here if I transfer the Digital8 video in S-Video instead of by DV output?

Thanks

Derek N

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I own so many different home video recording formats with so many different methods of recording that it would make your head spin. If you are viewing your homemade DVDs on a 27" analog monitor, the difference will be just barely noticeable. If it is on a large screen digital monitor, the differences are significant. My preference for something so precious as home movies of my beautiful children would be to stay digital all the way and avoid the digital to analog to digital to analog conversions. For home movies of my ex-wife with my children, it doesn't matter for the part of the picture she occupies. I am however grateful my children look like their mother for the most part.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I own so many different home video recording formats with so many different methods of recording that it would make your head spin. If you are viewing your homemade DVDs on a 27" analog monitor, the difference will be just barely noticeable. If it is on a large screen digital monitor, the differences are significant. My preference for something so precious as home movies of my beautiful children would be to stay digital all the way and avoid the digital to analog to digital to analog conversions. For home movies of my ex-wife with my children, it doesn't matter for the part of the picture she occupies. I am however grateful my children look like their mother for the most part.

Chris

Derek N

Agent
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the unit due to all the other features it had. So far I am real happy with it. I have yet to burn a dvd of my digital8 movies. I in fact still have a 36in analog tv so the difference may be limited. I too prefer keeping the digital path clean but in this case there just didn't seem to be another option. I will be keeping the tapes anyway (in a climate controled setting) and hopefully at a later date I can back them up digitally. For now the s-video should be ok for casual viewing (or so i hope). The relatives will simply be thrilled to be getting a dvd of our daughter. And my wife certainly won't notice the difference either.

Derek N

Derek N

Agent
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the unit due to all the other features it had. So far I am real happy with it. I have yet to burn a dvd of my digital8 movies. I in fact still have a 36in analog tv so the difference may be limited. I too prefer keeping the digital path clean but in this case there just didn't seem to be another option. I will be keeping the tapes anyway (in a climate controled setting) and hopefully at a later date I can back them up digitally. For now the s-video should be ok for casual viewing (or so i hope). The relatives will simply be thrilled to be getting a dvd of our daughter. And my wife certainly won't notice the difference either.

Derek N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks