What's new

$138.88 for new Toshiba SD-2800 DVD Player - is a cheaper price possible? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Buy.com is selling the Toshiba SD-2800 for $138.88 shipped.

Do you know where I might be able to get a better price?

Thanks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

How do you like the player? How's the downcoversion? What size TV?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dave: It's for a Toshiba CZ27V51 (1999 model), and so far it looks just fine through either S-Video or component video. So far, though, I've only played 4:3 material on it. And I like to do the "squeeze trick" on the 27-inch Tosh, so downconversion artifacting won't be an issue for me. But I'll check and let you know. JB

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jack. By the way, does it already come with an S-Video cord?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nope, Dave. I just happened to have a spare S-video cable lying around. All that comes with it is the standard composite-video connector. Still didn't get a chance to play a 16:9-encoded disc and check for downconversion artifacting, but I'll let you know when I do.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Update on the 2800's downcoversion issues:

Please bear in mind that it has been a long time since I screened and closely observed a 16:9-encoded DVD downconverted in the player for a 4:3-letterboxed presentation; I've been watching 16:9-enconded discs at full resolution for nearly three years now.

However, I am well aware of the usual comments about Toshiba's in-player downconversion performance: very sharp images but with the price of such artifacts as jaggies and moire patterns (as opposed to, say, a Sony player's much smoother but softer images via in-player downconversion).

But I wasn't quite prepared for what I saw. I picked a 16:9-encoded disc I know very well. Yet the experience was unpleasant; the image took on a distinctly "video" look (very similar to standard VHS); in fact, the image was not at all "sharp." It was blurry, with smeared, desaturated colors. And, of course, jaggies were abundant.

I could only take about twenty minutes of this.

Next, I switched to a DVD transfer that was letterboxed only--not 16:9-encoded. What a dramatic improvement! The artifacting disappeared for the most part, and the colors became truer, and the overall image was sharper, with improved contrast.

So, unless you are able to perform the so-called "squeeze trick" on your 4:3 display, I'd advise to watch only 4:3 material or widescreen discs that have not been 16:9-encoded.

The player's performance on 16:9-encoded discs seen through a 16:9 window, however, is remarkably good. The SD-2800 is a decent little machine.

One caveat, though: that transport motor is noisy for the first five to ten minutes of operation.

For the money, a fine purchase.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I appreciate your taking the time to check out the downconversion and writing your comments.

My bedroom 27" set does not perform the squeeze (that I'm aware of - it's an eight-year-old RCA). My main DVD player is a Panasonic RV80 connected to a Sony 61" 4X3 TV. The downconversion is outstanding and I can't distinguish the difference between good anamorphic material and good non-anamorphic material. I'm just wondering now if I should look for another Panasonic - maybe the RV31 or something to the effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks