1366 x 768 ..... Why?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Westly T, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Ok, time for me to ask a stupid question. Why are so many new displays 1366 x 768 native? Would not 1280 x 720 be better so that scaling is not necessary from a 720P source? Why did they come out with this odd resolution? What am I missing here? Are they wanting to scale it to smooth it or something?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Because 768 is from the 1024 x "768" world. Easier to manufacture.

They don't do native on TV shows since all inputs have to overscan by 2-4% anyway to account for inconsistencies between channels and programs.

This is why 1280x720 also scale.

Regards

3. Jack_F

Jack_F Stunt Coordinator

So, are you saying that there is no loss of quality when scaling 1280x720 up to 1366x768?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

you get some weird scaling artifacts with these odd resolutions. Unfortunate.

While Michael is on point, I might also add in to answer "why", probably because the engineers are lazy and/or on drugs. It's a terrible resolution to choose for a display unless it's only to be used for graphics content, which is an odd expectation.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

It's not that they're lazy, it's the economics of scale. And most people aren't terribly critical, so any scaling artifacts will get ignored, or "it's normal."

But it's cheaper for everyone if they just make the W-XGA screens rather than HDTV-720 and W-XGA.

Leo

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'll stand by my assertion that they are lazy and/or on drugs. [​IMG]

Or one could perhaps blame the bean-counters, but regardless it's a stupid resolution to use for critical viewing. Then again, we could make jokes about plasma owners as well, so... [​IMG]

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

On the other hand, something that wouldn't be terribly hard would be to have an input mode where it centers (or even slowly orbits) the 1280x720 image in the 1366x768 frame.

Leo

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes. That would be a good idea. [​IMG]