What's new

$1300 JBL Norhtridge Speakers System. Opinions? (1 Viewer)

todd<>C

Grip
whole system would include: EC 25, E 10, E 80, E 150P
receiver would be the yamaha htr-5650
is $1300 too much for the system or could i get something better for my money?

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you saw the Best Buy deal eh? I haven't heard the E series (or this particular ensemble) so I couldn't tell you if it's an awesome deal for the money. My guess is that it's not too bad.

NicholasTS

Stunt Coordinator
If you're into wood grain finishes JBL's are the only ones that give you the option.
I believe that JBL package deal is wonderful. You save about $300. Those dual 6" 3.5-way E80 speakers pack some major punch for the foot print they occupy. The HTR-5650 is a deal by itself, with component video swithing, composite to s-video upconversion, Yamaha's wonderfull surround processors, and a 370 watt power supply this receiver is substantial.
Yes, it is a nice deal. I chose JBL myself just before the E-series came out; I couldn't be happier. Keep in mind, I did audition in my room the Klipsch SF-2's, the JBL N38II's, and the Athena AS-F1's before I made my final decision. JBL's sound was the one I was willing to pay for. If you have the time, you should do the same. Best Buy has a 30-day no questions asked return policy. You can take them home and if you don't like them bring em back and exchange for a different set or brand. I know it's quite a bit of work but I'm loving it!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You can do much better w/ the Studio series online. Look for the S38s for mains, S Center, and S26s for mains. For the sub look at the Adire Rava or JBL Studio sub. I would stay away from the other JBL subs due to many problems with the amps. Then pickup what ever receiver you like best. There are great sub $400 offerings from Pioneer, Kenwood, Harman Kardon, Denon, and so on. Personaly this is what I would reccomend...

Mains: JBL S38 - $230 (froogle.google.com)
Surrounds JBL S26 - $130 (froogle.google.com)
Center: JBL S Center - $130 (froogle.google.com)
Sub: Adire Rava - $400 (www.AdireAudio.com)
Receiver: Harman Kardon 325 - $350 (www.ecost.com)

Total: $1240 + SH

This, in my opinion, would be a much better system than the one you saw at best buy in all categories. The Studio series is a marked step up from both the N and E series. The Adire Rava subwoofer is nearly impossible to beat under $400, and the HK receivers have both amazing amplification and proccessing.

Hope this helps :)

todd<>C

Grip
thank you all for your feedback. i am still researching, so if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Heck even stepping up to a CHT-15 Velodyne Sub at $499.
Allows you to easily go with JBL S26's all the way around.
Or still sub in s38's for the fronts.

The Yamaha receiever in your post is at ecost for $236

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
if you end up with that reciever (which i wouldnt advise) let me know if it makes your speakers hiss or just incredibly bright.

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen - have you heard the Rava? If so, could you comment on its HT performance? Is it really a problem or are the comments I've read (not great for HT, go ported) making a mountain of a molehill so to speak?

Nick Laho

Grip
Hello Jakub, and everyone else. I currently own an Adire Rava and have some comments to add. While I haven't heard much else besides the Rava I have to say I wouldn't recommend(Sp?)it for HT use at very loud volumes. I have JBL S38II's for mains and I find it cannot keep up at very loud levels. Its an amazing music sub and perfect for moderately loud HT's but it is not meant to be pushed to levels that some people would want in HT. I have pushed it to its limits several times during movies and I was afraid for it at some points. This is all my opinion, but its what i've observed. Hope this gives you an idea. I just want to stress that this sub is by no means weak, just not a theatre crusher.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard the Rava but I had a similar sized sealed Shiva (same driver) w/ a 250 watt amp (same power) while i was building the larger ported EBS enclosure. It will make it down to arund 25hz and will be one of the most accurate subs out there in the price range. The next step up in pre-fab subs (SVS 25-31 PCi)would run you another $150 and wouldn't offer much lower extension (25hz tune w/ an F3 around 22-23hz). The gap between it's low end output (25hz) and the audible cut-off (20hz) is not significant enough to make it an under-performer for HT. You're not going to get the sub-sonics of some other subs out there, but neither are any of the other pre-fab subs in or close to the $400 price range.

Given the budget and DIY not being an option I don't think you could really do any better than the Rava. It also gives you the needed parts for a great DIY sub if that route is ever available.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
If I could make a suggestion, buy a receiver with pre-outs so you could add outboard amplification at a later date. The 5660 has them, but not the 5650.

todd<>C

Grip
ok, i think you have talked me out of the yamaha receiver. now i am thinking about either the onkyo sr501 or the dennon avr 1803. both are refurbished. are refurbished receivers generally ok? what about refurbished speakers? thank you for all of your inputs.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I have always been a firm believer in refurbed equipment. MY HK receiver and Infinity speakers are all refurbed and have the full warranty. Can't beat that. I figure that they hav gone in for repair and fully checked out again before leaving, so in effect are probably more problem free than a new unit. I've never had any problems with the refurbed electronics that I've owned.

Jason

John S

Senior HTF Member
Both those receivers sound great in my opinion.
Of course I am biased towards Denon.

But have recently installed a few ultra bargain HT rooms, and that dang Onkyo sr501 really sounds great to me.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't give the "bright" claims much heed about the Yamahas. Maybe in the past. Great features, great price. But above all, get what sounds best to your ears and your wallet. No prob with the JBL's though. Good luck man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks