What's new

$1300 for rptv suggestions (1 Viewer)

JustinPaul

Grip
I know $1300 is a very low budget for a rptv but at this point that is all I can afford. I am looking for a non-hdtv 4:3(98% sure on these 2). I will be sitting 10 feet from the screen. I would pefer to buy locally at sears, circuit city, or best buy I live an hour and a half from columbus, oh so maybe frys (I keep seeing people mention them). I would like to have a 50+ tv. But would like one that defenitly has a good picture (defently most important) doesnt have to look great out of the box I am planing to use AVIA to calibrate it properly. But I don't think I want to get in to the serious calibration (not really experienced). Also I would like one with all the goodies possible like the anomorphic squeeze etc. (I know that you get what you pay for). Id take any help you can give me and I do mean any help. Also maybe help of what sites to check for price matching at sears and bestbuy and cc. Thanks a ton

-Justin

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure if there is one close to you, but I got a Sony 32XBR450 at a Sony outlet store for $1049....Circuit City had them on sale for $1999 the same weekend.

Good Luck

Grant

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Justin: It's your money, but I would sincerely like to pursuade you to reconsider this purchase. Spending money on an NTSC-only RPTV in this era would be unwise. I would rather see you spend that money toward an ATSC-capable set. Direct-view HD-capable sets are plummeting in price. And so are HD-capable RPTVs. And, as Grant noted, if you are near something like a Sony outlet store, there are killer bargains to be had. Finally, though I am loathe to recommend Home Theater magazine to anyone, in the current issue Mike Wood makes a valid point in the RPTV comparo review: It makes no sense to buy analog RPTVs any longer. So, get something that's future-compatible, not backward-looking. My thoughts. JB

JustinPaul

Grip
I see both of your points. I am a college student and live with my dad. When I graduate I plan on buying a nicer hdtv and giving this one to my dad as a gift. I would love to have a hdtv right now but I just bought a dishnetwork pvr 501 and a new home theater system a kenwood 504. And I have a panasonic dvd player that is not progressive scan. pv-30 (something like that it ends in 30 lol). I hate to spend the money I have saved to buy a 32" or even a 36" hdtv when I currently have a 27" direct-view, so this will only give me about another 5 to 9 inches, and have a very limited budget and will not be able to pay $700 more for a hdtv dish reciever and a $250 progressive scan dvd. I am open to buying a hdtv I just cant really justify the money for something I will not be able to use without spending another $1000 which I dont have for at least another year at which point I will have another year untill I graduate.

I don't mean to sound like an a$$. I love it when you guys give your opinion and Id love to buy an hdtv but do you guys think it is worth it? Is there another bonus I am missing?

Thats why I thought a non-hdtv would give me the most bang for my buck since I watch alot of tv during the week and about 3 dvds on the weekend. DOes my thinking make since and if so any recomindations?

Thanks alot,

Justin Sargent

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bang for the buck can be a fleeting thing, though. And while you might have less viewable real estate with a 32- or 36-inch direct view, you would have an incomparably better picture. Another thing: You will want to have 480p capability when watching DVDs. With a big NTSC-only, non-line doubled RPTV, you will be noticing the scan-line gaps all the time. Size alone does not matter--especially if the picture is mediocre.

JustinPaul

Grip
So my dvd player puts out 480p images? I see your point but what will the resolution likely be on a non-hdtv when watching a dvd?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The player doesn't, Paul. But the line doubler in an ATSC-based set will produce a 480p image for you. The viewable resolution, of course, will be 480 lines. Panasonic makes a 47-inch 16:9 RPTV that MSRPs at $1,999--meaning you'd be able to find it streeting at several hundred dollars less. And I've seen one properly set up and running at an HT store near where I live. It's a marvelous, marvelous set. Now, picture yourself: You just bought an analog-only RPTV for that $1,300. A couple of days later, you wander into a showroom and see that 47-inch, 16:9 Panny--for only a few hundred more. It will make you unhappy.

JustinPaul

Grip
I just read my thread and please forgive my horrible spelling to my defense Im only operating on 2 hrs. sleep. Thanks for the panasonic 47" 16:9 hdtv sugestion. Any more hdtv or non-hdtv. I welcome all. My price range is pretty well set at around $1300 unfortunatly.

Thanks,

JUstin Sargent

Brad_V

Second Unit
I've read this forum for awhile, but this thread is the one that made me finally register and post. I can't believe some of the responses Justin received.

He has a budget of $1300. For $1299 he can get a Toshiba 50a61. There. Done. And he'll still have a dollar left over. It'd cost an extra thousand dollars to get a similar-sized HD set and an HD receiver to go with it.

And yes, a DVD looks better progressive than it does interlaced, but let's be real here, play Toy Story 2 on that 50a61, and it still looks damn good.

JustinPaul

Grip
Im just trying to get everyones opinion on tvs to look at. I really want the 55h70 sams has but my sams never put it on sale. normal price is 1779 which is a good deal but others said their sams lowered the price to 1430. Which is in my price range. Also how is dish network going to look on this set.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Jack is right...Spending that much money on an NTSC tv at this stage of the game is not money well spent...For 1500 you can get a 4.3 HD ready set or as Jack said 1900 will get a 16.9 HD ready set..Wait another month or two until you can come up with the extra two to 500 depending if you want 4.3 or 16.9...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
With a big NTSC-only, non-line doubled RPTV, you will be noticing the scan-line gaps all the time.
Yes, tell me about it. I have a 61" NTSC TV. Now, my picture is very good (ISF calibrated too) but I can very faintly see the scan lines, particulary if I look for them. And, my head is 16 feet from the set.

I, too, strongly recommend getting an HDTV. Maybe you should just wait a while longer and try saving moremoney or consider the finance options from Best Buy or somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks