$1300-1400 for HDTV. What do you recommend???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., Jan 1, 2003.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

I have around $1300-1400 for a hdtv and was looking around at some but cant decide. I do have an Xbox along with a DVD player and HT setup. I was looking for something economical. I am 20yrs old in an apt and sold my 27" pip magnavox to my bro for $200 so now i need a tv. I want something that looks good for both games and dvd, plus i have comcast digital cable. Keep in mind that I dont need the greatest tv. I mean my friends have a regular 61" RPTV and it looks great for dvds, and xbox plus tv is fine. I mean should i go for the cheaper RPTV or the hdtvs? I have looked at many models from the Panny PT47WX42 for $1300 or a Toshiba 50a61 for $1000 or even a 60a61 for $1300. I have s video cables and all so im just not sure what to do. I want to marrow this down soon. Ill even go on a payment plan for these tvs.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Get the Panny 47" and set it up properly. A lot of Panny owners seem to love playing XBox on their 47". Just make sure you keep the contrast down--maybe lower than normal--for gaming to avoid burn-in.

If you want to save a little and don't mind sticking w/ a smaller direct-view HDTV, you should also take a look at the Samsung Tantus 32", which sells for ~$1000.

There's really no point in getting an analog RPTV. However, you will need to get component cables to make the most use of an HDTV.

_Man_

3. Jeff Sch.

I have gotten mixed reviews. I mean some tell me to get the Panny others dont . Some say RPTV others dont. Im stuck here. Also i wouldnt see how buting a 32" for $1000 would be any better than buying 47" for $1300. I wonder if i buy a Best Buy protection plan. Burn in would be covered. I mean they said it covers everything

4. CraigEG

CraigEG Agent

best buy service plans don't cover burn in

5. FahnonB

FahnonB Extra

You and I are in similar boats (I'm 24, and want it for mostly games and DVD)and 've been doing ALOT of research over the past month and I just made the decision to go with the 53" Panny (53wx52)...

6. Jeff Sch.

how much is that and where? IS burn in covered on service plan?

7. FahnonB

FahnonB Extra

Crazy Eddie has it for $1560. They also have the 47" model for around $200 less. As for the warranty, I havn't come across one that covers burn-in. That's almost universally considered a result of abuse. My research tells me, though, that if you get a calibration tool like Avia you minimise the risk and only if you do something stupid like pause a game and leave it for 3 hours will the screen get damaged.

Fahnon

8. FahnonB

FahnonB Extra

I just ordered the 47" Panny from Crazy Eddie for $1620 with white glove delivery and the 4 year phillips warranty...

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yeah, I personally think it's a good idea to get white glove (or in-home) delivery and some sort of an EW for an HD RPTV. But not all EWs are created or cost equal. I heard the Philips one is pretty good and cheap too--you can actually buy it online. I got my 53" Panny from Best Buy w/ a 4-year EW and got them to knock off $50 by taking the EW.

FWIW, somebody mentioned that most TV makers offer 2-year warranties in Canada for the same TVs. Makes me wonder if there's not something to that 2nd and 3rd year.

_Man_

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

As always, read the fine print as to what an extended warranty will and will not cover. Do not believe what a salesperson tells you, only go by what's in writing, and ask for clarification if you are unsure (but make sure it makes sense).