130 watt sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Adam Boatwright, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Adam Boatwright

Adam Boatwright Auditioning

I bought a Sony speaker set and the sub is only 130 watts. Will this sound decent as far as the bass? I left the model # of the set at home. What sub brand and wattage would you recommend that is reasonable in price? I need model #'s if you have any available. I will be upgrading my receiver as well in the future.

Thanks!

2. Yong Chan

Yong Chan Stunt Coordinator

Depends on the size of your room. There are a lot of better SW's than Sony. I started with a Sony and recently upgraded to HSU VTF3 MKII, and the difference is huge even with the volume set very low. If you state your budget, you will get better suggestions. If you can return the Sony set altogether, I would recommend looking at
    WWW.HSURESEARCH.com. Specifically, look at the VT12 speaker series with the STF1 for $498.

yc

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, need room size and budget. Then the recommendations can flow. The larger your room, the more sub you will need. Wattage isn't going to tell you enough to make an educated choice, so don't use that as a primary part of your consideration.

www.svsubwoofers.com would be another good site to look at.

4. Adam Boatwright

Room size is around 15X17....that is just a guesstimate. Best bang for the buck is what I am looking for. I have no idea what price range. I have expensive tastes. But I am new to Home Audio Surround sound equipment. I bought a Aiwa 200 watt sub from Best Buy for 200 or 300 bucks about 4-5 years ago. I wonder how it would do.

Another question, Where is the best place to put the SUB? I am very limited in space off to the sides of the tv. When I built my house, I didn't factor in adding a sub to the side of the entertainment center. So It may stick out in in a walkway a bit.

5. Yong Chan

That's good sized room. You'll find that most people who post here have expensive taste as well. HT is not a cheap hobby. If you are starting from scratch, I wouldn't go with the Sony's. Best bang for your buck will be found over the internet. You will find various proponents of Axiom, onix rockets, swan, aperion, hsu research, Ascend, SVS througout this forum. You will find a few threads with similar requests as yours. Set a budget...$1500 should get a really nice sound system. This is probably much more than your sony system. I used to have a 150watt Sony sub for my first HT. It was the first SW I ever owned, and I loved it...until I heard better ones. If this is your first HT setup, then you probably will like it no matter what. Anything is better than TV speakers. Look around the forum. I personally recommend Onix rockets which can be found at www.av123.com. There is probably someone in your area with Rockets who would be more than happy to let you listen to their set up. This is a very common practice in that forum. Customer service is awesome, but that can be said of most of the internet companies mentioned. Aperion pays for shipping to you and from you if you don't like their product. At any rate, I wish you the best of luck with your system. BTW, if you are going to be using the set up primarily for movies and not music, the most important speakers IMO is the center channel and SW.

yc

6. Adam Boatwright

Thank you very much man. Now I can see why so many people come to this site for help.

What about SW placement? Where would you recommend putting it?

Thanks again!

7. John S

John S Producer

What are your expectations?

There is a site called Parts Express, they have a 12" for only $120, two of those would rock most even larger or difficult rooms. Or maybe even just one, and keep your current sub in addition to.

8. Yong Chan