13 Ghosts with Illusion-O glasses, a real treat!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Brown, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Got the 1960 version of "13 Ghosts" yesterday and watched it last night. The DVD includes a set of Ghost viewers, like they gave out in the theaters during its theatatrical release. The disc is really cool, there are two versions of the film, both in WIDESCREEN!! One version uses the ghost viewers, the other does not. This is a very slick DVD with a nice "Making of...", trailers, and the original intro by William Castle on how to use the Illusion-O glasses. This movie still gives me the creeps even after all these years. I highly recommend.
    Todd
    ------------------

2. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

That's just awesome! Does it come with anykind of order form for more glassess? (In case you have company or a signifigant other)

3. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

It does have an order form for more glasses. You can order as many "Ghost viewers" as you want. They have to lens, one allows you to view the ghosts, the other makes them disappear, if you become to frightened. Castle was a master of audience participation films i.e. "The Tingler". This DVD brings alot of that back.
    Todd
    ------------------

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Columbia and WB need to make a William Castle box set with The Tingler (not on DVD), House on Haunted Hill (WB owns this one...great DVD, too), 13 Ghosts, and Mr. Sardonicus with all the gimmicks...
    I heard somewhere that The Tingler is being restored..(The "blood red" scene has faded to red thanks to Eastmancolor...the video and TV prints use a grainy 16mm print for that one scene to preserve the blood color.)
    The box set could come with a few seat buzzers to simulate the "Perspecto" shocks, an inflatable skelaton with a line to simulate "Emergo" (At the climax, the glow in the dark bone man slides down in front of the screen!), and of course, the ghost viewers.
    Mr. Sardonicus could have the menu pop up to ask if you wanted to see him punished or let go...
    Castle would be proud of this DVD gimmickry.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

5. Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,
    Maybe I misunderstood you, but The Tingler has been out on DVD for some time. It was released by Columbia and it looks fantastic. Yes, it's anamorphic.

6. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

7. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    I'm telling my age here but I remember going to see 13 Ghosts in the theater and wearing those glasses. Including these with the dvd is a nice touch. Looking forward to it.

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I am trying to locate extra pairs of Illusion-O glasses, since the Blu-ray release does not include them and I have only the two pairs from the original DVD release. Does anyone know of a source?