What's new

13 Ghosts Illuision-O Glasses? (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I picked this up the other day and discovered that it did not come with the 3-D glasses. I read somewhere, not sure where it was, that someone else had the same thing happen and had gone through a couple copies with no glasses.
Does anyone know if this was a limited time thing? that only a certain number of copies had the glasses? if they are available from Columbia/Tristar?
Thanks!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
William Castle's 13 GHOSTS wasn't in 3-D. It was presented in "Illusion-O", which meant the film had several sequences where the audience could look through a viewer- one red section, one blue section - to choose to see or not see the scary images. The Columbia DVD should come with two viewers inside.

MikeDE

Second Unit
I have the Castle 13 Ghosts, and it came with two pair. That's what brings some fun this movie and was the gimmick it was originally promoted with. You better make some calls. Don't waste you time on the remake, though. Only glasses that would help that one are solid black so you wouldn't have to watch it LOL.

Mike

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Oh, that's what's confusing me. I thought you were asking about the remake!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI, the original movie "13 ghosts"(1960) used the number "13" in the title. The recent movie "Thirt13en Ghosts"(2001) spells the number "Thirteen" and places the 1 and the 3 over the t and the e, the way I've typed it in the title above.

The 13 Ghosts DVD comes with an insert in the case that has an order form on the last page of that insert, that can be used for ordering extra glasses. If you don't have the insert, and since I used my form, I can't give you the information that was on it, but maybe someone here who hasn't torn it off to use can post the information for you.

Hope this helps.

Paul

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
My insert didn't have the form either.....
Just info about Castle and the chapters. I found a couple places online that offer the red/blue glasses free, so I may go that route.

If anyone finds anything else out, I'm around;)

Thanks everyone!

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
My memory may be playing tricks on me (that happens far too often for my own comfort :)), but doesn't this come with a red and blue gel that you hold up in front of your eyes, rather than glasses? Red and blue are also what anaglyphic 3D titles use, but if you were to wear the two colors as glasses, you'd be seeing the film through both red and blue simultaneously, which isn't the idea. You might be wasting your money if you buy anaglyphic red/blue glasses for this title. By using a handheld gel (a flat, colored piece of plastic, in this case with a red section and a blue section -- it may be two separate gels, or both gels in one sleeve ... I've forgotten) you can choose to see the ghosts by viewing the film through red, or choose to omit them by viewing through blue.

As I recall, viewing the film without any gel at all more or less recreates the same experience you enjoy when viewing it through one of the filters ... probably the blue, but I'm not sure.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There are two separate versions of the film - an all black & white one for watching without the filters and the black & white/"color" one for watching with the viewers. I believe the theatrical release was also offered in two versions.

Theatrically, the viewer was a device about the size of an eye mask that you held up to your eyes - either the blue or red, depending on whether you were a coward or not - at the appropriate parts of the films. The DVD version of the viewer is downsized considerably, so much that you can't use both eyes to look through the filter! I guess they had to downsize it to accomodate the DVD case size.

I ran the movie theatrically in 35mm last year and have a few extra viewers left over (they are the DVD version); if somebody needs one or two, send me a PM.

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I just got "13 Ghosts" from Wal-Mart and same thing happened to me :frowning: I only got the disk and the insert.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
13 GHOSTS isn't in 3-D, but you can use red/blue 3-D glasses for a make shift Illusion-O viewer. They are made of the same material.

Just hold the glasses vertically and look through the either the red or blue lens depending on whether or not you are brave enough to see the shocking ghosts....

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the DVD when it came out and it came with two pairs of glasses. It also came with a paper with an address to order more. I ordered four more so that my whole family could watch it in "illusion-o"

As for Walmart...not having the glasses... I just purchased JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Non-Superbit) and the disc inside had only one side which was Pan&Scan. The packaging stated that side one was P&S and side two was widescreen. The disc had a silk screen label. Only one side. Go figure?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks