12x20 room: lets discuss 7.1 speaker locations (again)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by todbnla, Mar 17, 2006.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    My new project room is 12'w x 20'l and the plan is to put the center, of course front and center, either up high or down low, I have wired for both, the mains of course in the corners, toe'ed in a little, say @ 45 degree angles towards the center of the room. The outer rears in the back two corners and in the center of the rear wall for the inner rears. The surrounds will be mounted apx 16" down from the 8ft ceiling. This was the same config as my last dedicated theater which worked fine. I just wonder if their aren't any better configurations for more active surrounds? The reason I always wonder about this is when you go to the newer theaters, all of the surrounds are along the side walls and very rarely do I ever see any rears along the back walls? Do they know something we dont? Or, am I over thinking this entire situation?

PLMK-Thanks!

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I would think that in your room the way your are wanting to put the speakers is the best way. Theaters are another matter all together with room size, room acoustics, etc.

The only other thing that I would suggest is that your side surrounds be dipoles if they aren't already.

3. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Is 7.1 really that much better? I have a friend who's HT is wired for 7.1 and have watched a couple flix that are coded for 7.1 and honestly I didn't really find it to be that big of a difference than 5.1. Now I would say the size of the room has a lot to do with it, and in your case I can't imagine 7.1 would fill the sound much more than 5.1. My HT will be about 11' X 22' and I'm wired for 6.1 only because my receiver supports it. I guess if you have the extra money for the speakers go for it, but if it means going out and spending more $ on a receiver and/or speakers then I personally wouldn't do it. Just an opinion though.

Don