12x18 living room one or two SVS subs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kim Sherman, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Kim Sherman

Kim Sherman Auditioning

I have a 12x18 living room open to a kitchen, dining room, and hallway . Would one sub be enough?

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Depends on how loud you want to get, how high the ceilings are and how far away you're going to sit from the subwoofer. It's my guess based on your description of an open floorplan that people with your room size typically cannot get to full reference level with one subwoofer, but a single CS+ would still sound pretty darn good.

--Steve

3. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

My HT is in a room 16'x24' with only 2 doorways and 8' ceiling.

I have a 16-46cs+ with a samson S1000. This sub rocks the whole house. In setting the bass volume limit, it goes up to -10 and the whole house is rumbling and I do mean actually rumbling! Then I am able to inch it up to -8 before I hear any distortion from the sub, this is where it is set at.

BUT there is a limit! TPM is the only movie I have ran across that I can not listen to at a volume setting of 0 on my Pioneer. (Disclaimer: 0 volume setting on my system is EXTREMELY loud) The sub will start to distort during the low bass/high volume sections, like the intro and pod race. But other than that this sub has enough headroom for my room size. I may add another sub later but it would be an extravagance not a necessity.

My opion is that if you want a little higher output go with a single 20-36cs+ (or maybe their new pci line) or if you want the low,low bass go with one 16-46cs+.

Deciding which/how many SVS sub(s) to buy was my hardest decision to make, but once you get one (or two) you'll be the happiest HT owner on the block. You will be surprised at the output of the plus line and after living with it for a little while you can decide on the second one.

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

You can never have too much headroom. If finances don't allow 2 subs, buy a passive one now with an amplifier(any stereo one) and buy the other sub when finances allow. If you have any questions, ask the guys from SVS. They will recommend something good for you even if it isn't one of their own subs.

5. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

You will not need to have 2 SVS, or any other similar quality, subs in that space.

6. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

Kim:
    I have almost the same exact room layout as what you describe. I had one 20-39cs which was plenty loud but I decided just recently to get another one and I am glad I did. The improved drivers for the SVS subs are well worth it (my old SVS has the old driver soon to be upgraded). I would consider going over to Home Theater forum group buy and you can save 15% on a 2 sub set[​IMG]