12x13 room for a ht, some hints, tips and things wanted.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Steve Adams, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I have purchased a new house, I have a 12x13 room downstairs that im going to use for my ht. im looking any tips etc that might help me. thanks

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Can you please be a little more specific? What are you looking for a projector or a RPTV. Do you want High Definition. What equipment do you have or are you starting from scratch. What exactly do you want tips on? Wiring? Equipment? Furniture? This is the only way we can help you...

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Sorry, I just have a flat screen tv right now, but im going to get the z1 front proj, right now Im looking for construction tips, like sound proofing, how to get proper acoustics etc.....

4. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

12x13 is pretty close to a square, and from what I've read (I'm no expert) square shapes are not the best for home theater in terms of sound. My own personal experience bore this out: When I moved to a new home and had no choice but to move my HT into a small, nearly square-shaped room, the sound quality suffered immensely, mostly due to reflections (the room also has hard wood floors, making things even more difficult.)
    Just recently, I finally got around to building some sound absorption panels. I was extremely relieved to find that, with the panels, my system actually sounds BETTER, in many respects, than it did in its prior, more suitable location. So if reflections are a problem in your new room (try clapping your hands to see if it sounds at all metalic or echoey, like the inside of a tiled bathroom - if it does, you've got reflections) I HIGHLY recommend sound absorption panels. For a little money and a few hours of work, they literally saved my theater.
    If you want more advice as far as constructing panels or where to locate them, I'll be happy to offer the little I know.

5. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I'm with Larry I justed installed sound panels in my small squarish room and it made a HUGE difference and much much cheaper when you make them yourself. Right now I only have the panels on the back wall (to cover a really messed up looking drywall) but soon I'll put some on the side walls. BTW I made two panels one 8x2 and the second 8x4 and stack the small one on top of the other to make an 8x6 panel. I used two layers of 6 1/2 inch fiberglass in a whitewood frame covered the fiberglass with polyfil then covered the polyfil with burlap and used pegboard as a back to it and that's it really simple and I almost failed woodshop class, seriously. It's really simple I guess the whole thing cost about $100 and is the best $100 I've spent on my system.

Daniel Smith

6. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve,

At 12x13, you're a little close to the line, which is a 5% difference minimum. But you're not over it.

I agree with Larry and Daniel about the beneficial effects of sound absorbing panels. Acoustical treatment, primarily absorption, is as important as any other part of your HT system.

Regards,
    Terry

7. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Acoustical treatment, primarily absorption, is as important as any other part of your HT system."

This is exactly what I discovered. All the money I spent on my system, speakers, reciever, monoblocks, etc - all of it was completely neutralized by the acoustics in my new room. Without sound absorbing panels to fix those acoustics, I might as well have exchanged my whole system for an old boombox and a Betamax. No other addition to my system has made as big of an improvement - when I needed it - as the panels have. Period.

8. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Yep again I agree with Larry definitely the biggest improvement by far and way cheaper than a component.

Daniel Smith

9. Harley

Harley Stunt Coordinator

Larry Talbot

How did you construct your panels?

Harley

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Steve, my first HT was born into an extra bedroom in our house. It was 10x12x8, small and nearly square. I tried sound panels, which did work, but I changed them out and ended up covering the top 2/3's of the walls with heavy-duty rubber backed black felt, this worked much better for sound control and absorption. It worked so well, I still use it in my new 10x16 HT room.

The panels I did build were constructed of 1" hard-board insulation covered with light weight black felt and hung at reflection points on the walls.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Where did you get this to? im interested in that! the felt may be the way to go! I have to try to get the woman to agree with me, I have to put the deepfreeze and washer/dryer upstairs....[​IMG]

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Home Depot is where I bought the heavy duty rubber back felt for the walls. They have several other colors, but do not stock black anymore.

As for the light weight felt, any fabic store will carry it. I bought mine from Jo-Ann's fabric's.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

13. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

14. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Larry Talbot

How did you construct your panels?

Harley"

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, Harley, or I would have responded earlier. I followed Chris Tsutsui's instructions (the second link in Daniel's post above)

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/RCca...usticpanel.htm

John Rich's webpage, which Daniel also lists, is also very helpful.

I'd say the hardest part is building the framework to contain the fiberglass. I chose pre-cut pieces of cheap plywood for the back (cheaper than the pegboard Tsutsui used) two feet wide by four feet long, and MDF white wood, 1x4s, for the sides. I screwed the frame together and tacked the plywood to it with little finishing nails (Actually, to confess, "I" didn't most of this - my girlfriend is into woodworking and she did all the labor, except for cutting and laying the fiberglass, which she left for me to do, which wasn't hard, but did take some time. For the rest, I just kind of offered directions. There goes my macho pride!)

As of right now I just have the panels propped up on various objects to get them at or above ear level - I still have to figure out a way to actually mount them. Here is a link to a thread I made about the panels:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=146767

Good luck if you decide to make them. I'm so happy with mine I think I would want to at least be able to experiment with them no matter what room my HT was in, but the truth is there are probably situations where you wouldn't need them, depending on the acoustics of whatever room you are using. Rooms with better dimensions, and a lot of objects in them, say dual-use rooms, with bookshelves and things, are less likely to need such panels.

I have plenty of links to different webpages and threads on this subject, because I did a lot of research on it, but they're all on my home computer and I'm away from home at the moment. I will be back in a week or so and if this thread is still going I'll post the other links here.

15. Harley

Harley Stunt Coordinator

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have plenty of links to different webpages and threads on this subject, because I did a lot of research on it, but they're all on my home computer and I'm away from home at the moment. I will be back in a week or so and if this thread is still going I'll post the other links here.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please post the links even if this thread is inactive,and thanks for all the previous info[​IMG]

Harley

16. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

yeah, for sure, I need all the info I can get....I have the missus talked into getting this done![​IMG]